Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Overclocking

Post subject: Questions about oc with 4790k and h220-x
 Post Posted: November 21st, 2014, 2:59 pm 

Hello everybody I just got my H220-x unit a couple of days ago and been trying to get some more overclocking done.
Before I upgraded I was using a coolermaster evo 212.
And I had it clocked to 4.5ghz at 1.2v
Temperatures in Aida64 (cpu,cache,fpu) was ranging from 74-80 celcius.
However anything above 1.22 v made temps skyrocket. So I just figured that I just needed a
solid cooling solution, hence my upgrade to the swiftech kit. Been having my eyes on it for a long time and was finally able to get it delivered here to sweden!

Now right after install I just tried the above clock on the H220-x and It dropped temperatures considerably, I didnt write down the difference but it was between 11-15 degrees celcius if i recall correctly.

So now, I'm doing 4.7ghz(4.4uncore) at 1.27 volt and the same stresstests yields temperatures ranging from 74-82c . Now my question is if maybe I've made a booboo mounting the cpu block or something else? I've tried reseating it and different amounts of thermal compound 3 times now.
I've only tried the Tin mate compount that was included with the kit so far.

Idle temperatures is really good, 23-26 degrees . And when i play games like Bf4 and Farcry4 and Assansins creed unity, the highest recorded temp on the warmest core is 58c.
Is there any way I can check to make sure I'm not doing a mounting error to rule that out, or are these temps "normal" for a chip without delid?

I know every cpu is different from the other just seems like some people can go crazy with cpu voltage and have low temps even on lower rated cooling while I have some sort of temperature barrier.

Oh and also a little bonus question regarding the pump rpm. I have set a fan curve in bios to manage the speed of the pump, and it revs up accordingy when properly stressed. However It seems it takes a REALLY long time, several minutes in fact for it to come down afterwards. Is this normal?

Post subject: Re: Questions about oc with 4790k and h220-x
 Post Posted: November 21st, 2014, 4:00 pm 

henryhandzome wrote:
Hello everybody I just got my H220-x unit a couple of days ago and been trying to get some more overclocking done.
Before I upgraded I was using a coolermaster evo 212.
And I had it clocked to 4.5ghz at 1.2v
Temperatures in Aida64 (cpu,cache,fpu) was ranging from 74-80 celcius.
However anything above 1.22 v made temps skyrocket. So I just figured that I just needed a
solid cooling solution, hence my upgrade to the swiftech kit. Been having my eyes on it for a long time and was finally able to get it delivered here to sweden!

Now right after install I just tried the above clock on the H220-x and It dropped temperatures considerably, I didnt write down the difference but it was between 11-15 degrees celcius if i recall correctly.

So now, I'm doing 4.7ghz(4.4uncore) at 1.27 volt and the same stresstests yields temperatures ranging from 74-82c . Now my question is if maybe I've made a booboo mounting the cpu block or something else? I've tried reseating it and different amounts of thermal compound 3 times now.
I've only tried the Tin mate compount that was included with the kit so far.

Idle temperatures is really good, 23-26 degrees . And when i play games like Bf4 and Farcry4 and Assansins creed unity, the highest recorded temp on the warmest core is 58c.
Is there any way I can check to make sure I'm not doing a mounting error to rule that out, or are these temps "normal" for a chip without delid?

I know every cpu is different from the other just seems like some people can go crazy with cpu voltage and have low temps even on lower rated cooling while I have some sort of temperature barrier.

Oh and also a little bonus question regarding the pump rpm. I have set a fan curve in bios to manage the speed of the pump, and it revs up accordingy when properly stressed. However It seems it takes a REALLY long time, several minutes in fact for it to come down afterwards. Is this normal?

It sounds to me like you lost the silicone lottery on this one. What makes me think this are your idle temps and the fact that such a small voltage increase causes your CPU temperature to go up so dramatically. Also, it's quite normal for the pump to take a few minutes or so to get back down to minimum speed once it's been run near its maximum. This actually depends more on how the motherboard decides to decrease speed than what the pump electronics are doing. I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

Post Posted: November 21st, 2014, 4:39 pm 

Okay, yeah I feared that this was the case! Thanks for the fast reply :)

Post Posted: November 22nd, 2014, 11:55 am 

henry,

Just my two sense here. I have dealt with many of these chips. At your overclock and voltage your chip is just about right. You are going to see higher temps as you increase voltage. Voltage=heat. In my experience the 4770k or 4790k's all have heat issues. This is why people delid their chips. They get much better temps with these chips when they delid which allows them to go higher voltages with higher clocks. Your chip is right on par being stock with intel's crappy epoxy they decided to use. Your temps are fine. As you saw you will not exceed 60-64C in any application except for cpu stress tests like aida64 and prime95. In my opinion XTU should be the only stress test you will ever need for these chips. If you are comfortable with your temps I would leave it. If it truly bothers you and you are shooting for that 4.9-5.0GHz range you should consider delidding the chip and applying a good TIM to the die. Also by delidding the die will make better contact with the IHS. Huge diff in temps. But after spending $300 on a chip I understand a lot of people not wanting to do it.

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Overclocking