Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Overclocking




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Overclocking 5960-X with H220-X
 Post Posted: October 14th, 2014, 10:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: October 14th, 2014, 9:56 pm
Posts: 5
Hello,
This is my very first post here and I am very excited to be a part of Swiftech's owners club :) I recently Upgraded most parts of my previous build. Those parts are:

Intel Core i7 5960-X ( From 4770-K )
Msi X99S X-Power OC Motherboard ( From Msi Z87 X-Power )
G.Skill 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHZ ( From Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 1600 MHZ )
Swiftech H220-X ( Corsair H100i )

I must say I am very impressed with the quality of the Swiftech's Cooler. I have put all my system together and I tried to mess around with overclocking a little bit. But I was not impressed with temps at all. At first I was getting very high temps overclocking to 4.2 with Voltage left to auto (1.2+). Using Prime95, temps reached 90+C as shown in the below screenshot:

Image

I reseated the block several times and used different thermal pastes and ended up with same results. Even used my old cooler and had same results.

I tried to lower down the voltage a little bit and this was the best results I had so far:

Image

Both screenshots were taken with 100% full fan/rad speed.

I am getting confused because most of the reviews on the internet, they set the voltage to 1.3+ to reach similar or slightly more clocks. and I had to lower down the voltage to reach almost the same results with higher voltages. Did I receive a good sample that needed lower voltage to reach higher clocks ?! or Did the reviewers get a very good samples for only the review ? I really don't know.

But my main question here, What should I expect from the H220-X ? Do I need to add let's say another single 120 or 140 rad to the loop ?

Any opinion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mostafa Hijazi


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Overclocking 5960-X with H220-X
 Post Posted: October 15th, 2014, 9:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: January 17th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Posts: 2084
Hi Mostafa,

I first need to know a few things to diagnose your issue. Can you first tell me what your ambient temperature is and how you have the fans positioned in your case? Also please tell me the method you used to apply your thermal paste and also tell me if you've removed the protective plastic cover from the copper base plate. I look forward to hearing from you so that I can assist you further with this issue.

Regards,

_________________
Bryan Ramirez, Swiftech Customer Support Team


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Overclocking 5960-X with H220-X
 Post Posted: October 15th, 2014, 10:54 am 
Offline

Joined: October 14th, 2014, 9:56 pm
Posts: 5
Hello Bryan,
Thank you for your attention in trying to diagnose the issue. My ambient room temperature is 20c-23c (AC) the fans are positioned push on top of a cosmos 2 case and a 140mm exhaust fan and the back. I used line, pea, full cover methods while applying thermal paste and I have indeed removed the plastic cover from the copper base plate.

Thanks and regards,

Mostafa Hijazi


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Overclocking 5960-X with H220-X
 Post Posted: October 15th, 2014, 11:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: January 17th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Posts: 2084
mostafa wrote:
Hello Bryan,
Thank you for your attention in trying to diagnose the issue. My ambient room temperature is 20c-23c (AC) the fans are positioned push on top of a cosmos 2 case and a 140mm exhaust fan and the back. I used line, pea, full cover methods while applying thermal paste and I have indeed removed the plastic cover from the copper base plate.

Thanks and regards,

Mostafa Hijazi


Hi again Mostafa,

Can you tell me what speed the pump is running at and can you see if the coolant is circulating through the reservoir? If the pump is running then it sounds like you have either a bad mount or a bad processor.

The reason why I'm leaning towards a bad processor though is your wattage. This is a 140 watt chip and your software shows it hitting 250. That can't be good and indicates that there might be a problem with the chip.

With the size of that processor though I would consider using the line down the middle method. It should give you a better spread and thus better temperatures. Let me know if this helps to resolve your issue.

Regards,

_________________
Bryan Ramirez, Swiftech Customer Support Team


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Overclocking 5960-X with H220-X
 Post Posted: October 15th, 2014, 11:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: October 14th, 2014, 9:56 pm
Posts: 5
Hello Bryan,
The speed is running at full speed ~3000 RPM. I can't tell from looking at the reservoir that the coolant is circulating but I can feel the flow by touching the tubes. I don't think it is a bad mount. I reseated the block maybe 5 times or more now. It may be a bad processor but not in terms of power consumption as you mentioned. I think it is a bad IHS. Because I tried different coolers and had same results. It is not related to power consumption as the TDP will increase due to overclocking. I saw people overclocking it to 4.5 with 1.375 on voltage and having same or less temps as I do.

I did reapply again with the line method and yet no improvement.

Now I am considering adding a single 140 RAD at the exhaust fan but do you think that this will be enough to have better cooling ? or change the cooler to a more advanced one like a triple rad or something ?

If you think adding a single rad is going to be good enough, Then I would appreciate if you could recommend the parts, fittings, tubing, rad tpye, etc putting in mind that I have the H220-X.

Thanks and regards,
Mostafa Hijazi


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Overclocking 5960-X with H220-X
 Post Posted: October 16th, 2014, 8:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: January 17th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Posts: 2084
mostafa wrote:
Hello Bryan,
The speed is running at full speed ~3000 RPM. I can't tell from looking at the reservoir that the coolant is circulating but I can feel the flow by touching the tubes. I don't think it is a bad mount. I reseated the block maybe 5 times or more now. It may be a bad processor but not in terms of power consumption as you mentioned. I think it is a bad IHS. Because I tried different coolers and had same results. It is not related to power consumption as the TDP will increase due to overclocking. I saw people overclocking it to 4.5 with 1.375 on voltage and having same or less temps as I do.

I did reapply again with the line method and yet no improvement.

Now I am considering adding a single 140 RAD at the exhaust fan but do you think that this will be enough to have better cooling ? or change the cooler to a more advanced one like a triple rad or something ?

If you think adding a single rad is going to be good enough, Then I would appreciate if you could recommend the parts, fittings, tubing, rad tpye, etc putting in mind that I have the H220-X.

Thanks and regards,
Mostafa Hijazi


Adding an additional 140mm rad might be enough to help your temperatures. It's hard to say though for certain because there are lots of other factors involved. If you do want to add one though I would recommend our MCR140-QP, 2 of our 3/8 by 5/8 compression fittings, a 140mm Helix PWM fan, and a length of our TruFlex tubing in black. We don't currently sell the coolant that these kits are filled with, but you can also purchase our HydrX coolant if you want. I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

_________________
Bryan Ramirez, Swiftech Customer Support Team


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Overclocking 5960-X with H220-X
 Post Posted: October 16th, 2014, 9:54 am 
Offline

Joined: October 16th, 2014, 9:15 am
Posts: 7
Gosh that just doesn't seem correct, something has to be wrong someplace. I have the 5820K and the H240X and with 12 threads of Prime95 running my temps max out at 54 degrees C. This is at 4.1ghz and 1.25v with an ambient room temp of 19 degree C, so about a 35 degree delta. This is also with my fans and pump nowhere near close to max speed (they are set to "standard" in the Asus fan tuning software) Sorry I don't have the RPM's of each available as I'm on break at work, but I do know the fans were running at less than 1000 and I'm almost positive the pump was right around 1700-2000. (I will update tonight when I get home with exact numbers) Granted I have 2 less cores than you, but I don't think there should be a difference that large. My first thought was the clear piece of plastic to protect the copper CPU block wasn't peeled off as I could see it being easily missed. What about the mounting posts? did you change them from the ones that came on the block to the socket 2011 bolts? Perhaps the longer ones are still on and not making tight contact? Sorry if that was a dumb question, but these H220X/240X are a beast of a cooler for just a CPU, something else has to be going on.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Overclocking 5960-X with H220-X
 Post Posted: October 16th, 2014, 10:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: January 17th, 2013, 4:53 pm
Posts: 2084
DSushi wrote:
Gosh that just doesn't seem correct, something has to be wrong someplace. I have the 5820K and the H240X and with 12 threads of Prime95 running my temps max out at 54 degrees C. This is at 4.1ghz and 1.25v with an ambient room temp of 19 degree C, so about a 35 degree delta. This is also with my fans and pump nowhere near close to max speed (they are set to "standard" in the Asus fan tuning software) Sorry I don't have the RPM's of each available as I'm on break at work, but I do know the fans were running at less than 1000 and I'm almost positive the pump was right around 1700-2000. (I will update tonight when I get home with exact numbers) Granted I have 2 less cores than you, but I don't think there should be a difference that large. My first thought was the clear piece of plastic to protect the copper CPU block wasn't peeled off as I could see it being easily missed. What about the mounting posts? did you change them from the ones that came on the block to the socket 2011 bolts? Perhaps the longer ones are still on and not making tight contact? Sorry if that was a dumb question, but these H220X/240X are a beast of a cooler for just a CPU, something else has to be going on.


I was thinking that too, but if he's getting unusually high temperatures with other coolers then there is likely something wrong with the way Intel applied his IHS. I don't think his temperatures are high enough though to warrant them to issue a replacement for it, but he could look into that as well. I'm really thinking that there is something wrong with his processor though. Thanks for your input.

Regards,

_________________
Bryan Ramirez, Swiftech Customer Support Team


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Overclocking 5960-X with H220-X
 Post Posted: October 16th, 2014, 10:17 am 
Offline

Joined: October 14th, 2014, 9:56 pm
Posts: 5
Yes I did change the screws to socket 2011 screws. and removed the plastic from the block back plate. I have checked everything possible and I ran out of things to be checked. Reseated several times, changed pastes, fans, coolers, whatever option I have I tried...

I ran out of solutions and I am a little bit disappointed. Not sure what should I do next.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Overclocking 5960-X with H220-X
 Post Posted: October 16th, 2014, 4:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: October 16th, 2014, 9:15 am
Posts: 7
Good point about the IHS and the high temps on other coolers. Man, that is a bummer, I would be upset too after spending that kind of money on a CPU. Well, if it were me, I think I would definitely look into a CPU replacement as I would want it to perform to my expectations. If you can't get them to exchange it you could always go through Intel Performance Tuning Protection even though it does cost $35 for the 5960K. I would rather see you buying that 140mm rad in order to add on a GPU block or something...anything other than to just fix a bad heat spreader contact. Good luck to you, hope you get it sorted out!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Overclocking 5960-X with H220-X
 Post Posted: October 16th, 2014, 6:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: October 14th, 2014, 9:56 pm
Posts: 5
You know before ordering the 5960X I already placed an order for 5930K... But I said to myself... let's go extreme this time.. so I returned the 5930K ...

I am at 4.2 now with 1.17 on Voltage... Temps does not exceed 80c... But I should have better temps... I saw reviews of voltage up to 1.375 with same or less temps...

I will keep it at this point for now as clearly going further is not a wise thing to do... Although the PC will never run under 100% Prime95 circumstances .. but it is just annoying...

I am leaning on adding another rad.. The pump on the H220-X is excellent and one of the best. I may consider changing to high performance fans like NB eLoops or something... my fans are Akasa Vipers.. They have been used in my previous system...

Anyways.. Thanks for your help. and Bryan too.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Overclocking


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron