Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Overclocking

Post subject: typical temps for Apogee GT on Phenom II
 Post Posted: January 22nd, 2014, 3:25 pm 

Hey, big fan of your products. I just wanted to if you had any insight on temps with a Phenom II. I'm running a 955 BE C2 stepping right now at 3.7ghz, 1.48v vcore. Temps are 34 idle with CnQ enabled, usually 53-55 load. I'm using Gelid Extreme thermal compound, and have an MCP650 with 3x120mm worth of radiator (one dual and one single). Does that sound like a normal temp for this setup?

I'm trying to decide whether to postpone my video card order and get a new one of your radiators and some new tubing and use the opportunity to clean out my system. One concern I do have is I currently run a top mounted radiator without a reservoir above it, so I have to tap it a bit to get the air out of it. Occasionally i get a bit in there and it needs to be knocked out, so to speak.

Post subject: Re: typical temps for Apogee GT on Phenom II
 Post Posted: January 22nd, 2014, 3:46 pm 

I've had that particular CPU myself some years back. I also used a very similar cooling solution. My voltage though was not nearly as high as yours to get that overclock. I think I had mine at 3.8 with a vcore of 1.35. I can't remember exactly though to be honest. It was at least 2 years ago since I last had this in my system. I had a pretty good chip. I could never get it stable past 3.8 though, it just needed less voltage to get there.

I think my temps were a little lower than yours as well. My ambient temps were in the mid 20s and my load temps would only get into the high forties to low 50s. So depending on what your ambient temperature is it sounds like the voltage is what's causing your high temps.

I'm currently running a 1090T overclocked to 4.0 with a vcore of 1.4. It can run all day like this and only gets into the high 30s. I also have my 990FXA-UD7 and my GTX 680 HydroCopper in my loop. I have an MCR 320 XP in the roof in push/ pull exhaust, an MCR 140 QP in push as exhaust in the back and an MCR 220 XP in the floor in push/ pull intake. The highest temperature will be my GPU and it hits 41C at max load after 15 minutes of FurMark burn-in. I'm also using an MCP655-B and I've had it for about two years now without issue.

I hope this helps to answer your question a little bit and thanks for posting.

Regards,

Post Posted: January 22nd, 2014, 4:06 pm 

Ah ok. I know that C2 steppings are pigs for voltage, and my temps under stock voltage are much lower, so thats probably a lot of the issue. Those are some nice temps on your setup there. Can you check to see what you get under IntelBurnTest v2 on the extreme preset? I'm just curious as to what the new CPU's run, as I'm looking at upgrading to a Bulldozer cpu and new board soon. I use this program to test for heat related issues. Another of my favorites for stability testing is OCCT.

I think i may just tear down the loop and clean it. My tubing is at least 3 years old, so the coolant is probably ruined from the plasticizer. I'm going to purchase a MCR-220QP with the integrated reservoir to solve my bleeding issues, as well as a box of Primoflex Advanced LRT tubing to hopefully eliminate plasticizer issues in the future.

Another question: What is the recommended way to clean out a radiator? I believe I used vinegar last time, and rinsed it out with lots of water.

Post Posted: January 22nd, 2014, 4:15 pm 

Check out our FAQ for cleaning out a system. It has a solution for using Pine Sol that works quite well. I'll see if I can get IntelBurn test loaded when I get home and I'll post my results. It might take a few days though because I'm usually pretty busy after work these days.

Regards,

Post Posted: January 22nd, 2014, 4:26 pm 

No problem, I completely understand that. It took me two weeks to find time to pull my motherboard and redo the chipset paste finally, I have no idea where all the time goes during the week. I'll check out the FAQ and i'll follow that procedure when I put the new radiator in.

Post subject: typical temps for Apogee GT on Phenom II
 Post Posted: February 28th, 2016, 11:37 am 

Hey I was wondering how well the 3400 does for overclocking. I have my system water cooled so I was thinking about doing a little light over clocking to the FSB through the bios. Will it be worth it on the Athalon 64 3400?

___

XRumer 12.0.16 + SocPlugin: the BEST software for Facebook / VK / Forums / Blogs promotion!

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Overclocking