Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Overclocking

Post subject: Overclocking the 2900XT
 Post Posted: May 23rd, 2007, 5:08 pm 

We have seen some interesting results with this board.

Here is some preliminary informal data:

Baseline:
Stock cooling & frequency (743/828) : load temp 73C (furrycube)
Max stable O/C 853/900
3DM06 score 12511 (published) with the E6600 @ 3.550

Liquid Cooled O/C & temp testing

Cooling: MCW60 off-the-shelf, MC21, MC14 as shown:
loop composed MCR220, MCP655, Apogee GTX
Other Hardware QX6700 @ 3.880, EVGA 680i

Max O/C 890/1075
Temps: Iddle: 41C - Load 47C - Ambient 22C
Score 3Dm06 (published) 14724

This is pretty close to what we did with the single 8800GTX, but we need to redo the GTX without the volt mod to be fair..

Also ran the board several hours under GTR2 (my fav. racing game, setup in auto pilot with all eye candy on) to test stability, and I couldn't see any difference in quality with a single 8800 GTX.
So bang for the buck factor will be there IMO when drivers are 100% stable (for now install is less than friendly - renaming a dll to run 3DM06? C'mon..)

So my first impression is good potential for an overclockers choice product, once drivers are finalized, and most PARTICULARLY when the ATI tool will finally enable soft volt mods. Then the card could easily outperfom 8800GTX's without volt mod (vmods are so hard to do for 99.9% of the ppl out there).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: May 23rd, 2007, 11:44 pm 

Come on Gabe, get a TEC under the MCW60 and clock the card even higher :D

The card has potential...in overclocking.
Overclocker's satisfaction when run with LN2 and a good X6800 in 3D Mark05 & 2001 8)

How's the development of full cover block for the 2900XT going ?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: May 24th, 2007, 9:14 am 

BenchZowner wrote:

Frankly, I am not too sure about this. The MCW60 works fine with it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: May 24th, 2007, 11:09 am 

Ofcourse the MCW60 works :)
But there are lots of people wanting full cover blocks ( including a friend of mine :D )

Post subject:
 Post Posted: May 24th, 2007, 2:35 pm 

BenchZowner wrote:
Come on Gabe, get a TEC under the MCW60 and clock the card even higher :D

The card has potential...in overclocking.
Overclocker's satisfaction when run with LN2 and a good X6800 in 3D Mark05 & 2001 8)

Looks like the high scores with these cards that have been posted on the orb have been done with stock GPU cooling, looks like LN2 on the CPU only.

I think if we got another 2900 card, volt modded them, and did some crossfire we could probably beat that top score with just our watercooling:D

Lets get on that Gabe;)

OPP

Post subject:
 Post Posted: May 24th, 2007, 4:44 pm 

@OPP

You're on spot m8, just taking things as an overclocker ;)

My comments regarding a Full Cover block came from some friends & forumers who ain't overclockers, just fans of "virtually" noise-less PCs ( that's what they're hunting :D ) while we're hunting 'teh big clocks' they're trying to get rid of every noise-maker in their PCs.

They just can't bare with having some small heatsinks cooling their VGA components ( ram & IO Chip ), they know that they're more than adequate but still want FC blocks :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: May 24th, 2007, 4:56 pm 

BenchZowner wrote:
@OPP

You're on spot m8, just taking things as an overclocker ;)

My comments regarding a Full Cover block came from some friends & forumers who ain't overclockers, just fans of "virtually" noise-less PCs ( that's what they're hunting :D ) while we're hunting 'teh big clocks' they're trying to get rid of every noise-maker in their PCs.

They just can't bare with having some small heatsinks cooling their VGA components ( ram & IO Chip ), they know that they're more than adequate but still want FC blocks :D

Yea I understand.
I do love the Swiftech Stealth. The 8800 card just feels so safe with the Stealth block on it.
Even helps in overclocking the memory, with added voltage of course :wink:

OPP

Post subject:
 Post Posted: June 17th, 2007, 3:16 pm 

Hi all!

I have a little question for you experts :) . I bought an Ati 2900xt, and replaced the stock cooler with the MCW60, MC21 and MC14. I've got good temps on the core but the temps im getting with AMDGPUClockTool in LM64 Local Temperature on DD3 I2C are high 60-68º C. Are the the MC21 and MC14 enough? The pcb of the 2900 XT gets hot like hell, i think it reachs 60-70º C. Can i damage the board with this temps?

Thanks In advance

Post subject:
 Post Posted: June 18th, 2007, 1:10 pm 

trouble wrote:
Hi all!

I have a little question for you experts :) . I bought an Ati 2900xt, and replaced the stock cooler with the MCW60, MC21 and MC14. I've got good temps on the core but the temps im getting with AMDGPUClockTool in LM64 Local Temperature on DD3 I2C are high 60-68º C. Are the the MC21 and MC14 enough? The pcb of the 2900 XT gets hot like hell, i think it reachs 60-70º C. Can i damage the board with this temps?

Thanks In advance

I am using the 2900XT we used to develop the kit in my own system. AMDGPU reads 56~57 for the LM64. Difference with yours could be ambient, chassis cooling? I use 120's running at 5 volts in my system. it guarantees a constant flow of air over components, without any noticeable noise.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: July 15th, 2007, 5:14 pm 

These will be even better when the likes of ATi Tool can save the voltage changes via the programmable voltage regulators can be saved to profiles without not working.

ATi have always been very good in 3DMark optimizations aswell.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: July 17th, 2007, 4:39 am 

Can i just ask everyone who has water cooled a x2900xt what idle temps you get?

I've just finished my custom build and im cooling everything, cpu, nb, sb, gpu, vreg's and my idle gpu temp says 31C in ati tool. I have yet to try loading the gpu and overclocking. Thats on my todo list later today

Post subject:
 Post Posted: October 24th, 2007, 9:14 am 

Hi, I'm getting 39c according to the CCC. I've one question too, since fitting swiftechs wc system to my two ATI cards I can no longer display the startup screen, nor the bios setup. If I leave it to finish booting it will go into Vista fine. Was working ok before I fitted watercooling I just can't figure out what has changed..
Thanks...
ChrisC

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Overclocking