Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » The Grudge Corner

Post subject: My bad experience trying to get a refund!
 Post Posted: October 7th, 2014, 11:16 am 

First off I would like to say that I have been using Swiftech products for nearly a decade with no problems. I have always recommended their products to my friends. That is, until now.

On July 17, 2014 I ordered 12 (twelve) ⅜” x ⅝” Lok-Seal™ Compression Fittings part #5-8x3-8-G1-4-CF-BK. I just got a new Caselabs MAGNUM STH10 case and was waiting for other parts (tubing, rads, pumps, rez, etc.) to arrive so I could give my PC a brand new house to live in with all new water cooling parts. As parts arrived, I would assemble what I could, but I was not going to pull the motherboard, cpu, ram, and other things out of my old case until I had everything. Several items were on backorder so it wasn't until the 2nd week of September that I had everything and was ready to go. I decided to move the parts I was keeping into the new case and get the wiring done before the tubing.

With everything in place and all wired up it was time to start routing and cutting tubing. I got my first piece cut, slipped the collar onto the tubing, soaked the end of the tubing in warm distilled water for a minute, then slid it onto the first fitting. When I tried to tighten the collar to the fitting, the threads would not reach. The harder I tried, the more the collar started to cut into the tubing but still would not reach the threads. So I tried the other end going to the other fitting. Same problem. After several hours, and trying at least 8 of the 12 fittings, I had the same problem with each and every fitting.

I finally dug out a few other ⅜” x ⅝” compression fittings from 3 other brands. They all worked perfectly with the Primochill Advanced LRT ⅜” x ⅝” tubing I was using. I then did some searching online and found several other people had the same problem with these exact same Swiftech fittings. After reading that, I ordered 12 ⅜” x ⅝” compression fittings from a different brand and started the RMA process with Swiftech on September 17, 2014. Initially Bryan wanted me to test all of the fittings and send in the ones that didn't work for new ones. I explained that I had already replaced all of the Swiftech fittings with a different brand that worked and simply wanted a refund for all of them. He agreed to a refund once they received their fittings. I carefully put all 12 fittings into a bag, wrapped the bag in some foam and put them into a bubble wrap padded envelope. I paid for it to be signed for and tracked to protect myself from the "We never got them" scenario. They were delivered and signed for Friday September 26th. I figured I would get an email from Bryan confirming he had received them and when I could expect my refund. That didn't happen. Instead, UPS showed up at my door yesterday, Tuesday October 6th, with a box from Swiftech containing 3 new fittings.

I had no idea why they sent me 3 new fittings since I had made it very clear in my emails with Bryan that I wanted nothing to do with these fittings, just a refund. I email Bryan and ask him why they did this. He claims there were only 3 fittings in the package they received from me and just decided to send 3 new ones back. He never contacted me to say there was a problem or to even try to find out what I wanted to do about it. He said they just assumed I wanted 3 new ones. What? Why would they assume such a thing? Why didn't they contact me before taking any further action?

Now I'm stuck in a "my word versus their word" situation. I asked if the envelope was damaged in any way. Bryan said "the packaging showed no signs of damage or tampering". I went to the post office with the 3 fittings they sent back and simulated the best I could using the same type and size of envelope and padding to see what it weighed. It was 4 oz. The package I sent weighed 14.10 oz. and it says it on my receipt. I relayed this information to Bryan and he replied by saying "As of right now this looks like it might have occurred during shipping". So which is it? Was the package damaged or not? Why did he change his answer? I know I sent all 12 fittings and have a witness that can back me up. Bryan says the CEO has been "apprised" of the situation. I'm not quite sure what to do now. I don't want these 3 fitting they sent me and I'm sure as hell not paying to send them back.

I feel like I have been taken advantage of and possibly lied to. If this is how Swiftech treats it's customers in times of trouble, then I advise everyone avoid this company at all costs. I think my next step will be to contact the Better Business Bureau and post reviews about these defective fittings to warn others.

Post subject: Re: My bad experience trying to get a refund!
 Post Posted: October 11th, 2014, 12:27 am 

This situation truly sucks but look at it from their point of view. If they received only 3 fittings when they are being told by the customer that all 12 were sent then Swiftech could be wondering if they have "been taken advantage of and possibly lied to".

Could the package have been easily opened and resealed in transit by someone?

Is it possible that 9 fittings somehow escaped through a tear and then the delivery company tapped it up which would explain Swiftech receiving a intact package?

Is it possible Bryan was told the package was intact and thus just relaying that info on to you all the while not knowing that maybe is was miscommunicated to him?

Or is it more plausible that Swiftech just couldn't afford take a loss on the items and instead lied to you, kept 9 fittings for themselves and ship 3 back to you?

I know which one of those 4 scenarios sound the most unlikely to me. Not trying to be a jerk...just throwing my opinion out there. Wish you luck with this.

i7-4790k @ 4.8Ghz / ASUS Z97 Pro (Wifi ac) / GTX 780 (in EVGA step-up queue for GTX 980) / Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB 1866 / Swiftech H220-X / EVGA SuperNova G2 750w PSU / Corsair Air 540 case / Plextor 256GB M.2 (OS drive) / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD / WD Black 1TB HDD / ASUS PA248Q 24.1" 1920x1200 IPS / Overlord X270oc 27" 2560x1440 120Hz Glossy IPS / Sound Blaster ZXR / Audioengine A5+ Speakers / Audioengine S8 Sub / Beyerdynamic MMX 300 Headset / Code TKL Mechanical KB Green Switches

Post subject: Re: My bad experience trying to get a refund!
 Post Posted: October 15th, 2014, 11:58 am 

I can definitely see it from there side, and any of those scenarios could have happened. But considering the fact that these fittings were defective, what would I gain by not returning all of them but saying I did? They are useless to me. Why would I keep any of them? I have nothing to gain by doing such a thing. It cost me money to buy 12 more fittings that actually work from a different brand. The only thing that benefits me is to return all 12 Swiftech fittings for a refund to help offset the cost of the 12 from a different brand I had to replace them with.

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » The Grudge Corner