Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » The Grudge Corner

Post subject: Swiftech MCP355™ 12 VDC Pump Just Destroyed My Computer
 Post Posted: June 26th, 2014, 1:26 am 

I've had my water cooling system for less than 4 months. Today I was gaming like I typically do, and all of a sudden I start smelling a very faint scent of bleach, I just figured it was my roommate doing laundry. About 20 minutes later the smell turns from hint of bleach to an overwhelming odor of melting plastic. I begin looking around my room for the source of the smell when I notice rancid smoke start pouring out of my computer case. I immediately flip the switch on my power supply, take off the side of my case, and notice the Swiftech MCP355 was smoldering. I had to leave the room immediately because of the toxic fumes pouring out.

My computer seemed to be running completely fine up until I shut it off, despite all of this.

Here is the aftermath on the pump:

You can clearly see it burned all the way through.

I call the swiftech support number for the USA (Compton, CA), and the lady that answered the phone proceeds to tell me there is nothing she can do and to call back tomorrow (no idea why she said this, but she was very hard to understand).

I decide to go to the local computer store to buy a cheap air cooler (~$15) for the time being to get my rig up and running, until something could be done about the pump.

Here's the real kicker. I spent 5 hours tonight trying to get it to boot up. This pump malfunction must have fried my processor and/or motherboard as well. When I press the power button, 2 red lights blink on my motherboard, and the fans nudge slightly, then everything stops. I reset the CMOS multiple times, removed the battery multiple times. I removed everything but the cpu, cooler, boot drive, and one stick of ram. Still the same result.

To summarize the situation.. Your pump has rendered my PC useless. My question is, are you guys going to assume your rightful responsibility for this? I'm out several hundred dollars as a direct result of this faulty Swiftech product.

Sincerely, a very unhappy customer.

Post subject: Re: Swiftech MCP355™ 12 VDC Pump Just Destroyed My Computer
 Post Posted: June 26th, 2014, 10:30 am 

I'm very sorry to hear about this. It looks like you voided your warranty though when you installed that aftermarket top. These aftermarket tops can sometimes cause the pump to spin faster than it was designed for and that's why our warranty clearly states that the use of an aftermarket top on our pumps will void your warranty. Due to this there really isn't anything that I can do for you. I'm very sorry about this and you can contact me directly at bryan@swiftech.com to get further clarification.

Regards,

Post Posted: June 26th, 2014, 10:54 am 

So let me get this straight.. I'm being penalized for being an honest, decent human being? I could have just as easily replaced the pump top back to the original part, taken a picture, and you would be none the wiser.

I appreciate that you're sorry, but "sorry" doesn't fix my problem. The pump top is not the issue here, but I'm fairly sure you already know that. My coworker has been using two of the same exact pump tops on swiftech pumps for 4-5 years straight and hasn't had a single issue. So that's really the justification you're going to make for leaving me high and dry?

Post Posted: June 26th, 2014, 11:25 am 

ajc458 wrote:
So let me get this straight.. I'm being penalized for being an honest, decent human being? I could have just as easily replaced the pump top back to the original part, taken a picture, and you would be none the wiser.

I appreciate that you're sorry, but "sorry" doesn't fix my problem. The pump top is not the issue here, but I'm fairly sure you already know that. My coworker has been using two of the same exact pump tops on swiftech pumps for 4-5 years straight and hasn't had a single issue. So that's really the justification you're going to make for leaving me high and dry?

The issue is that we have no control over the manufacturing of those tops and therefore our warranty is rendered void when one is used in conjunction with our pumps. That's been our warranty policy since we first discovered that these kinds of issues were occurring with aftermarket tops. Once the warranty has been rendered void there really isn't anything that I can do at that point.

Regards,

Post Posted: June 26th, 2014, 12:01 pm 

Quote:
These aftermarket tops can sometimes cause the pump to spin faster than it was designed for and that's why our warranty clearly states that the use of an aftermarket top on our pumps will void your warranty.

So did I just imagine the 4 pin PWM cable that is attached to the pump? Isn't the sole purpose of this to regulate the pump speed? Assuming I'm correct, how does your justification of this policy have any merit?

Edit: I may have jumped the gun, it only has 1 actual pin, so I'm assuming it's just a sensor.

Post Posted: June 26th, 2014, 12:35 pm 

ajc458 wrote:
Quote:
These aftermarket tops can sometimes cause the pump to spin faster than it was designed for and that's why our warranty clearly states that the use of an aftermarket top on our pumps will void your warranty.

So did I just imagine the 4 pin PWM cable that is attached to the pump? Isn't the sole purpose of this to regulate the pump speed? Assuming I'm correct, and I am, how does your justification of this policy have any merit?

Edit: I may have jumped the gun, it only has 1 actual pin, so I'm assuming it's just a sensor.

That's correct, it's just a sensor. These aftermarket pump tops differ from Laing's design specs and thus create more pressure on the impeller than they were designed for. This helps them produce the added performance that these tops are able to produce. In this manner they can produce issues with the normal operation of the pump and thus reduce their life expectancy. I hope this more accurately explains our position on why our policy is what it is.

Regards,

Post Posted: April 15th, 2015, 4:49 pm 

I think I was headed in the same direction last night... There was a strong toxic smell coming from the top floor of my condo. I traced the smell to the Swiftech MCP355 pump of my liquid-cooled PC. It was really a strong smell, think new car smell only toxic and times 100. I left a voice mail at Swiftech but no one returned my call. Not happy about that but anyhoo... I have had to replace the pump 3 times now in less than 4 years which is both ridiculous and expensive. In fairness my computer has a XSPC dual reservoir so I am not using the top of the Swiftech pump (this was not done by choice but my computer arrived setup this way) which I understand voids the warranty which is always fun to learn after the fact... So here are my questions, hopefully someone can answer...

1) I'm guessing the smell had to do with something melting/burning inside the pump? There was no visible damage at the bottom of the pump unlike the OP, must have been inside.

2) Is there some kind of less aggressive setting I can use in the bios or elsewhere to prolong the life of the pump?

3) Is there anyway to trace the cause of the failure other than to say that the XSPC operates the pump outside specs and might push the pump too hard? The other two times I replaced the pump were because it stopped, not because of a toxic smell.

4) I read there is RPM sensor on the pump which will provide the impeller rotational speed. Can someone tell me where that is reported? I run Speccy, but I don't see the pump info listed.

5) Obviously I would like for this not to happen again. I leave my computer on for days at a time which includes overnight. I would hate for something bad to happen in the middle of the night... I read that these pumps are designed to be run continuously as they were designed for aquariums or something along those lines. But if it's safer/smarter to turn my computer off each night, I can do that.

Thank you.

Ken Boone
Montreal, Canada

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » The Grudge Corner