Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Air Cooling

Post subject: Interior Case Color and Thermal Radiation
 Post Posted: April 9th, 2015, 4:28 pm 

I am not sure this is the correct forum for this question but here it is anyway. If it is the wrong forum, please accept my sincere apology!

This question my be to esoteric, arcane or simply ambivalent, but I was wondering how much the color inside a computer case affects thermal conditions.  Since the color black absorbs thermal radiation greater than the color white or any other light reflective colors, would it be better to have a white interior as opposed to a black interior.  Or is the difference so negligible, it is basically irrelevant in terms of thermal control?

I ask because I am starting a new build and I am considering painting my case, a 7 y/o Cooler Master 962 HAF, interior satan black to improve looks and to add contrast to my mods. I have never like the current color of the interior, primer gray and overspray, and was hoping to remedy that situation.  However, if this will increase the thermal condition of the interior by several degrees Celsius or greater, I will find a more reflective color.  If the interior color is negligible on thermal conditions, I will stay with my current plan.  Thanks for listening to my somewhat "a--l retentive" question and have a very blessed day.
Shawn

Fin

Post subject: Re: Interior Case Color and Thermal Radiation
 Post Posted: April 10th, 2015, 8:45 am 

lscagle wrote:
I am not sure this is the correct forum for this question but here it is anyway. If it is the wrong forum, please accept my sincere apology!

This question my be to esoteric, arcane or simply ambivalent, but I was wondering how much the color inside a computer case affects thermal conditions.  Since the color black absorbs thermal radiation greater than the color white or any other light reflective colors, would it be better to have a white interior as opposed to a black interior.  Or is the difference so negligible, it is basically irrelevant in terms of thermal control?

I ask because I am starting a new build and I am considering painting my case, a 7 y/o Cooler Master 962 HAF, interior satan black to improve looks and to add contrast to my mods. I have never like the current color of the interior, primer gray and overspray, and was hoping to remedy that situation.  However, if this will increase the thermal condition of the interior by several degrees Celsius or greater, I will find a more reflective color.  If the interior color is negligible on thermal conditions, I will stay with my current plan.  Thanks for listening to my somewhat "a--l retentive" question and have a very blessed day.
Shawn

Fin

There is no evidence at all that the color inside of a case has any discernable effect on the performance of the cooling system. I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Air Cooling