Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » TEC Cooling

Post subject: New MCW6500-T-775 System
 Post Posted: June 15th, 2008, 1:32 pm 

Hello everyone,first post at swiftech forums.
I would apreciate some help on my upcoming project.

I'm planning to build a new computer virtualy from scratch using the Swiftech MCW6500-T-775 TEC block.
I plan to install the following configuration:

Plextor Blue Ray RW
Asus Striker II Extreme
Intel Core 2 QUAD Q9300?
Dual geforce 9900 series-based cards (avaliable on July) :twisted:

Swiftech MCW6500-T-775 226W TEC block
Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Thermaltake Kandalf LCS (with 3 aluminium 120mm fan radiator)
Silverstone 120mm single fan copper-based radiator.
Enermax GALAXY 1000W

Innovatek FlowMeter PRO
Innovat. Protect Pro 250
4 Seagate 750GB HDD (RAID 0/1)

However, I've found the process of selecting the apropiate processor quite dificult, basically what I want is a Core 2 QUAD that can do decent OC without surprassing the 226W thermal limit of the TEC block.
I've thought of the 45nm Q9300 wich is a nice price/performance/low power option but there's a catch, the multiplier only goes up to 7.5x so (please correct-me if I'm wrong) won't be able to reach more than 3.5Ghz OC with the MCW6500-T because of thernal and Board FSB restrictions.

Another nice alternative is the Q6600, but then again I risk oveshooting the TEC limit if I aim at 4 ghz.

It's reviewed that the Q9300 draws 240W OC @3.3Ghz
Also, hothardware.com repords that Q6600 draws 230W at stock! :shock:

Please,wich QUAD CPU should I buy?

Eventhought I've done several water-cooling based configurations before, I have no experience on TEC; will the block fit on the ASUS STRIKER XTREME II? also, it's ok to use it with 1/4" fittings and use extra moisture isolation neoprene?

Also,I've heard that it's best to go with a second power supply because of fire hazards, I don't see why; shouldn't the board thermal protection and the RPM flow-meter stop alarm be enought protection in case of a pump failure or water leack?
Also, as I prefer to go on a single PSU, will the 1KW Galaxy be enough for my system or shall I buy another modular PSU? (If that's the case I would apreciate some advice about it).

Thanks! your help will be much appreciated!!!
[/url]

E6600 @ 3.30 Ghz/P5WDH Deluxe/4GB Kingston HiperX DDR2/Watercooled G8800GTX/Swiftech MCP655/Danger Den Black Ice Xtreme II Dual 120mm Radiator/Single Silverstone 120mm radiator/1/4" tube system/Thermaltake Armor/650W modular PSU/X-FI Fatality

Post subject:
 Post Posted: November 8th, 2008, 9:05 pm 

you will need a meanwell psu, can be bought right at the swiftech store. some dielectric grease and conformal coating, the Q9300 is a good quad. I have the TEC block and have oc'ed my E8500 to 5ghz on iot at onlt 15c idle and 33c load, so you should be able to do more than 3.5 on that quad. anymore questions dont be afraid to ask.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: March 3rd, 2009, 12:56 am 

philbrown23 wrote:
you will need a meanwell psu, can be bought right at the swiftech store. some dielectric grease and conformal coating, the Q9300 is a good quad. I have the TEC block and have oc'ed my E8500 to 5ghz on iot at onlt 15c idle and 33c load, so you should be able to do more than 3.5 on that quad. anymore questions dont be afraid to ask.

Im new to this forum and tec cooling, I plan to cool that same cpu using this cooler. Could you elaborate a little on what components your cooling system is made of as well as what other hardware you're running? Also what voltage are you running your cpu at?

Cheers

Post subject:
 Post Posted: April 6th, 2009, 9:06 pm 

i wouldnt use that block for a core 2 quad anything. once you start upping the mhz it will be too hot, you'd be better without the tec Lol.

Or you could upgrade the tec block inside, but afaik it only takes 50mm^2, bigger tecs are 62mm^2 but you could mod it to fit......

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » TEC Cooling