Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » TEC Cooling

Post subject: Question about my tec setup
 Post Posted: June 5th, 2007, 11:36 pm 

Well I setup my swiftech thermoelectric liquid-cooled setup on my Opteron 165. The only problem is it gets my cpu too cold. When it starts up I reckon it puts the cpu at around 1 or 2 degrees and my CPU doesnt seem to like those kind of temps. So i can boot without the thermmoelectric working and the cpu boots up hapily at 40 degrees or so. And then I can start up a program like orthos and then put the tec on, which is great for benchmarking. But as soon as I exit orthos, the temp drops from 26 or so down to 13 and my pc freezes. So my other option was so put the fans on extremely low speed. I did this and right now I'm running orthos at around 35 degrees (which I am happy with) but I'm not sure if my pc will get too cold again as soon as I stop the benchmark. The problem with this setup is that the water gets really hot (Ie, really hot to touch on waterblock / radiator, uncomfortable to keep hand on it). Is this safe as I know tec's sometimes break down if the hot side stays too hot.
Any other suggestions because I want this tec for everyday use. Cheers guys.
PS. really really nice setup by swiftech... wow...!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: June 6th, 2007, 4:51 am 

maybe Ill just add some more of that goop into the pin holes and see if that does anything... perhaps some calculations and I can add a resistor into the 12v line to the tec?? I dunno.... :S

Post subject:
 Post Posted: June 6th, 2007, 10:39 pm 

Have you looked into BIOS updates for your M/B?

Or you could look into rigging a thermal monitoring kit. There are fan controllers and software that turn fans on/off at certain temps, why not rig it to turn the TEC on/off at your desired temps? Could be done, just gotta find the right one for your needs that is possible to tweak.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: June 7th, 2007, 5:37 am 

hmmm this could be a good idea.. Well at this stage I can boot using the tec at anything under 270fsb, anything above that and the system freezes up. This is very strange I think, I've tried adding and minusing voltage, makes no difference above 270 (2.43ghz). I dont understand at all, I can get 2.7 on air easy, and if I turn on the tec above 270 and let the pc go to idle it crashes (temps about -4 to -7). The strange thing is it only crashes when at idle, I can get up to 2.9 using the tec when I start stressing the cpu, but once I stop stress and the temps drop it freezes... Strange, any ideas?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: June 12th, 2007, 3:01 am 

ok new situation, my mem controller seems to have loosened up a bit to the temperatures, it will pretty much boot on 2.6ghz if my water going through the system isnt too hot, which leaves the cpu at about 3 degrees. I think a great option to get this system working properly and getting around the cold bug would be to rig up a thermal sensor that turns the tec (or the psu to the tec) on when the cpu reaches a certain temperature (say, 32 degrees). Any ideas how I can hook this up? Possibly a good part in the system to hook this up would be the molex connector that to the main psu that tells the tec psu when the system is on or off... Any thoughts guys? I'd love to at least get back to my air overclock of 2.7ghz although I know this thing is well and truly capable of 2.9...
And ps, the system doesnt get overly hot when booting up with the tec turned off, it seems some heat is still transferred through to the waterblock.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: June 12th, 2007, 6:37 am 

Ok I've run through some ideas, and Ive also had a look at thermoelectric temperature controllers but they seem a bit expensive. I think an okay option would, by using a program like speedfan configure a fan to kick in at 12v when the cpu is at a certain load or temperature, and have a 12v jumper connected that is also connected to my TEC's PSU molex connector leads. So when the fan kicks in, this enables the TEC's PSU to connect to the main PSU (essentially letting the TEC PSU know that the PC is on) so then power is sent through the TEC.
What ya reckon? Good idea? Bad idea?

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » TEC Cooling