Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » TEC Cooling

Post subject: MCW6500-T on a Gigabyte X35 or X38 MOBO
 Post Posted: December 16th, 2007, 11:06 pm 

Has anyone installed the MCW6500-T on a Gigabyte X35 or X38 MOBO?

I was looking at a GA-680SLI-DQ6 MB, but it looks as though the area around the CPU socket is too cluttered for the pelt to sit flush.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: December 20th, 2007, 6:31 pm 

I think it'll work with the MCW6500-T

Post subject: How about the new 780i MB's
 Post Posted: December 30th, 2007, 9:44 pm 

Does there look to be enough room on this board? It seems all the new X38's, X4x's, and 780i's have a lot of electronics surrounding the cpu socket...

Oh and thanks for answering my post. Its a shame.. I see more people chatting on what I would consider far more inferior forums than this one. Maybe its just the TEC area. None the less thank you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: January 8th, 2008, 6:06 am 

I still use my trusty 'ol MCW5002-PT (model prior to 6500-T) and have it installed in my ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA SE (X38 mobo).

You can see pics at my site below if interested.

http://www.deafmetal.net/images/Compute ... /index.htm

I've been using SWIFTEC's kit for over 2 years on 3 generations of ASUS motherboards and have been VERY pleased, and without ANY issues!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: January 9th, 2008, 9:57 pm 

deafmetal wrote:
I still use my trusty 'ol MCW5002-PT (model prior to 6500-T) and have it installed in my ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA SE (X38 mobo).

You can see pics at my site below if interested.

http://www.deafmetal.net/images/Compute ... /index.htm

I've been using SWIFTEC's kit for over 2 years on 3 generations of ASUS motherboards and have been VERY pleased, and without ANY issues!!

Wow Deafmetal! your system looks great!! Thanks for the reply!
Im waiting now for the XFX 780i MB's to come back in stock. Just cant make up my mind on which way to go for my GPU and system memory.
8800gt, gts, or a GTX. Sigh.. and memory Im looking at Corsairs Dominator 4x1gb, or OCZ's reaperX 2x2gb. I think for overclocking purposes Im better off with the OCZ.. Im in a fogg on the GPU though. I bought the MCW60-T for my 6800GT several months ago along with the memory water cooler. Now when I upgrade GPU's the memory cooler will be useless and Im not sure if it will be a good idea to use the MCW60-t on an 8800 series card with only memory heat sinks.
Note: the only reason I'm upgrading is do to a leaking Koolance ram cooler which killed my MB's ram slots. "I should have never bought it" :x

Post subject:
 Post Posted: January 9th, 2008, 10:51 pm 

I appreciate the kind words, LOT of work and planning went into this latest iteration of my project.

Yeah, that sounds like a hard learned lesson. I stay away from ANYTHING 1/4", especially Koolance and Thermaltake. Very cheap products IMHO. I stick with 3/4" ID everything, and it's great for flow and keeping everything cooler. Although my MB has 1/4" barbs on the NB cooler (grrrr), but it hasn't shown any problems.

As for the Dominators, I haven't been impressed at all.... They WILL NOT overclock even 1 Mhz without a voltage adjustment, and I'm VERY leery to fry any of my stuff, so I leave them at suggested 2.2VDC. Definitely do your homework on RAM.

DON'T go GTX, it's a BIG waste of money right now. If you want something NOW, go with a 8800 GT/GTS (G92 variant). Cheaper and will run what you want now. Stick with a simple, cheaper version of the GT or GTS for now, as the dual cards are coming out soon if interested. If money is no object, the BFG watercooled 8800 GTS OC2 is a good choice, but VERY expensive!! I'm personally playing "wait and see" while sticking with my watercooled 7950GX2. If rumors about nVidia NOT unleashing new technology until late 2008 or early 2009, then I may bite on the 8900 series. A dual G92 option card sounds ok, but I'd like to see a top of the line card with PCI-E 2.0, DX10.1, ~1GB RAM, >128 Shaders, and ~384bit memory bus. Keep dreaming... but DEFINITELY water cool her, but the TEC on the video card may be overkill. I used to use one on my ATI X850, but I find the less heat in my loop, the better.

I had a 590i mobo from ASUS, and although no where near the 680i's that eventually came out, just too many issues to dump back into it with the 780i; atleast for me. I can't speak for 680i, but the 590i was the first MB I ever had that I COULD NOT WAIT to throw out the window as soon as I could!!! I hated that board!!

Apologize for long rant, but lastly, there obviously is NO substitute for Intel C2D processors!! Especially the quad cores! This QX9650 is running great, but I really don't notice any difference from the X6800 I had previously.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: January 15th, 2008, 8:25 pm 

deafmetal wrote:
I appreciate the kind words, LOT of work and planning went into this latest iteration of my project.

Quote:
Yeah, that sounds like a hard learned lesson. I stay away from ANYTHING 1/4", especially Koolance and Thermaltake. Very cheap products IMHO. I stick with 3/4" ID everything, and it's great for flow and keeping everything cooler. Although my MB has 1/4" barbs on the NB cooler (grrrr), but it hasn't shown any problems.

I had originally had the Koolance PC3 720 water cooled case, and decided to upgrade the CPU to an FX-55 so I added the MCW6500-T, MCP655, the Thermochill PA 120.3, 3 Noctura NF-S12 fans. So I used the older Koolance system to cool the Memory and NB.

Quote:
As for the Dominators, I haven't been impressed at all.... They WILL NOT overclock even 1 Mhz without a voltage adjustment, and I'm VERY leery to fry any of my stuff, so I leave them at suggested 2.2VDC. Definitely do your homework on RAM.

I'm thinking about the OCZ Technology ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth 4GB PC2-8000 DDR2 DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit

Quote:
DON'T go GTX, it's a BIG waste of money right now. If you want something NOW, go with a 8800 GT/GTS (G92 variant). Cheaper and will run what you want now. Stick with a simple, cheaper version of the GT or GTS for now, as the dual cards are coming out soon if interested. If money is no object, the BFG watercooled 8800 GTS OC2 is a good choice, but VERY expensive!! I'm personally playing "wait and see" while sticking with my watercooled 7950GX2. If rumors about nVidia NOT unleashing new technology until late 2008 or early 2009, then I may bite on the 8900 series. A dual G92 option card sounds ok, but I'd like to see a top of the line card with PCI-E 2.0, DX10.1, ~1GB RAM, >128 Shaders, and ~384bit memory bus. Keep dreaming... but DEFINITELY water cool her, but the TEC on the video card may be overkill. I used to use one on my ATI X850, but I find the less heat in my loop, the better.

Yeah Im thinking about going duel 512mb 8800 gt's. water cool them with swiftechs stealth cooler maybe. Just not sure if I want to split the system and use the koolance system to cool the GPU's. Its more than capable. Do you water cool both you north and south bridges?

Quote:
I had a 590i mobo from ASUS, and although no where near the 680i's that eventually came out, just too many issues to dump back into it with the 780i; atleast for me. I can't speak for 680i, but the 590i was the first MB I ever had that I COULD NOT WAIT to throw out the window as soon as I could!!! I hated that board!!

I wan't a 780i MB, either XFX or EVGA. I have read good reviews on both. Just not sure if I'll need to cool the board with water or stick with their active cooling setup.

Quote:
Apologize for long rant, but lastly, there obviously is NO substitute for Intel C2D processors!! Especially the quad cores! This QX9650 is running great, but I really don't notice any difference from the X6800 I had previously

Not a long rant. Just good info. Man I am sorry for getting back to you so late. Work work work.

I am thinking of the Q6600 or maybe a step above it. Any thoughts on these would be great!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: January 16th, 2008, 5:52 am 

The value of the Q6600 is awesome considering it's O/C capability and the lowering cost due to the 45nm products coming out. But... even though they are already fairly cool, the newer 45nm chips are faster (12Mb cache) and cooler than the Q6600. The new lower end 45nm lineup was just released, not sure if they're in shelves yet. Either way, yes, the Q6600 is a great buy.

I use a small thin chipset fan on the SB, and water cool the NB. Dominator triple fan on the 4 sticks of 1 Mb RAM, although I think it's dying... making noise on startup until the toip fan settles out.

I split my loop out of the radiator with a y-fitting. 1 loop to video card, other to TEC, then they re-combine with a y-fitting back to the resevoir. So 1 pump and the triple radiator in there. Definitely have the case and the room for two pumps and can set up a second radiator, just haven't found the need. Coolant stays around 80-90 degrees F, which is just over room temp, so I'm happy. I might try a loop TEC chiller at some point, dunno.

Sounds like you have an excellent plan, let me know how that 780i works out!!! Especially if you do tri-SLI!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: January 16th, 2008, 12:46 pm 

Quote:
Yeah Im thinking about going duel 512mb 8800 gt's. water cool them with swiftechs stealth cooler maybe. Just not sure if I want to split the system and use the koolance system to cool the GPU's. Its more than capable. Do you water cool both you north and south bridges?

FYI, the Stealth does not fit the 8800GT's or the new 8800GTS (G92 Core). The MCW60 does fit those two cards right out of the box.

MSI P55-GD65 / Intel Core i5-750 on Swiftech Apogee XT | 4GB OZC DDR3 | XFX 4890 on MCW60 | MCP655 Pump w/ EK D5 X-Top | MCR320+MCR220 Rads | Scythe S-Flex SFF21F (x5) on Scythe Kaze Master Ace Fan Controller[/b][/url]
Jab-Tech! My favorite mod & cooling supplier

Post subject: return
 Post Posted: January 16th, 2008, 8:23 pm 

Yeah deafmetal I just purchased everything. EVGA 780i A1 MB, Q6600 GO stepping, EVGA superclocked 8800GT, OCZ Reaper 4x2gb DDR2, and a Coolermaster Cosmos case. "I almost bought two 8800gt's, but I wasn't sure about the cooling aspect. I'm glad I didn't after reading what Rike wrote." Thanks for the info Rike! I had been looking around all evening trying to find specific's on the Stealth with a 8800GT. I think both the Q6600 and the 8800 GT should hold me over until the new cpu's drop and the 9X series GPU's come out.

Now i just have to figure out how I wan't to run the system. Two cooling loops or one. i.e. Swiftech/Themochill setup, or Koolance PC3720. Hose diameter and Rad placement will play a big roll in whether or not I use them both. Guess Ill probably have to wait to see if anyone makes a SB or NB cooler for the 780i.

Rike: What sinks/mosfet's do you use on your GT?
Did you get them from Swiftech?
Did you have trouble with them not sticking?
How is your water loop set up?

I would send pictures of my system, but I don't have anyplace to put them online. Im a noob to forums .
Thanks a lot for the great info you guy's!!! Anything you want to add you go right ahead..:?

Post subject: Re: return
 Post Posted: January 16th, 2008, 9:26 pm 

Trek6500 wrote:
Rike: What sinks/mosfet's do you use on your GT?
Did you get them from Swiftech?
Did you have trouble with them not sticking?
How is your water loop set up?

I would send pictures of my system, but I don't have anyplace to put them online. Im a noob to forums .
Thanks a lot for the great info you guy's!!! Anything you want to add you go right ahead..:?

Here's my thread on my 8800GT. It has lots of pics (maybe too many) and you can see the whole rig at the end of the first post.

It's all Swiftech stuff and I've had zero problems with it. Of course, I cleaned carefully before I applied the ram sinks and mosfet heatsinks.

My loop order is:
Pump->MCR220->MCW60->MCR320->Apogee->MicroRez->Pump

Some people would say this is a bad order, but it works great for me. As I type this I'm using Prime95 to stress test a 3.4Ghz OC @ 1.4V. I'm at 39C tops, 20-21C ambient. And that's with a water block that over two years old. That works for me. :D

If you're looking for a place to post pics, there are lot's places. I've used PhotoBucket since I started posting on this forum and it's been easy to use and free. You are limited to pics that are no bigger than 1024x768, but that's plenty of resolution for forums. Picasa2 from Google is an easy way to downsize your pics if you need to.

MSI P55-GD65 / Intel Core i5-750 on Swiftech Apogee XT | 4GB OZC DDR3 | XFX 4890 on MCW60 | MCP655 Pump w/ EK D5 X-Top | MCR320+MCR220 Rads | Scythe S-Flex SFF21F (x5) on Scythe Kaze Master Ace Fan Controller[/b][/url]

Post subject: My system
 Post Posted: January 17th, 2008, 3:15 pm 

Rike.

I have several questions for you.

1. Did you use conformal coating on your GPU before installing the MCW60-T?

2. I see that you had to bend the tines on your two MC14's on the top edge of your GPU, was this for hose connection and clean placement?

3. What coolant are you using in your loop?

4. Do you use any thermal sensors? If so which and where are they set?

5. I see you have an OCZ PSU, whats its watts, and do you have your MCW60-T connected to it, or its own power supply? Also is your MCW60-T hard wired, or connected by molex connectors?

Well Rike, I like your rig. I can only hope mine will be able to handle my heat dissipation and power requirements, i.E. The MCW60-T possibly X2, and the MCW6500-T. I think Ill put the N/SB on the Koolance loop if I can fit it, or maybe add a double rad to the system.

As usual any thoughts from anyone are welcome! :D

Later.

Post subject: Re: My system
 Post Posted: January 17th, 2008, 10:27 pm 

Trek6500 wrote:
Rike.

I have several questions for you.

1. Did you use conformal coating on your GPU before installing the MCW60-T?

2. I see that you had to bend the tines on your two MC14's on the top edge of your GPU, was this for hose connection and clean placement?

3. What coolant are you using in your loop?

4. Do you use any thermal sensors? If so which and where are they set?

5. I see you have an OCZ PSU, whats its watts, and do you have your MCW60-T connected to it, or its own power supply? Also is your MCW60-T hard wired, or connected by molex connectors?

Well Rike, I like your rig. I can only hope mine will be able to handle my heat dissipation and power requirements, i.E. The MCW60-T possibly X2, and the MCW6500-T. I think Ill put the N/SB on the Koolance loop if I can fit it, or maybe add a double rad to the system.

As usual any thoughts from anyone are welcome! :D

Later.

Hey Trek,

1. My apologies if I gave the impression I was using a TEC block. All my water blocks are currently plain old water blocks, but very effective none the less. I've not had the money or motivation to try out a TEC block yet. However, I know enough about TEC cooling to know that you absolutely should use conformal coating on any electronic parts that are going to have a TEC block near it. Before you spary, you'll need to tape off anything that will have a heatsink on it or any place that will have an electrical connection.

2. Yup, I bent the tines to make plenty of space for the barbs, tubing and clamps. All that was needed was a pair of needle-nose pliers to grab and bend with. Holding it with a towel helped save my hands although I guess I could have used my bench vise instead. I worked on the ram sinks while I was watching TV. :roll:

3. The coolant is Pentosin G11. I've added blue UV dye for much stronger blue effect under UV. Other than that, it's straight distilled water.

4. The thermal sensors I use are the ones that are on board the chips and my motherboard plus one outboard sensor that goes inside my rez to directly measure the temp of the coolant. For ambeint air temp, I have a La Cross weather station that sits above my desk.

5. My PSU is a 700 watts. If I had a TEC block I would not try to use it as a power source for the TEC. I would probably get Meanwell 320w auxiliary power supply to power it and a Swiftech relay switch to make sure it turned on and off with my main PSU. I'm sure that I would hard wire it to the aux PSU, and I've no doubt I'd sleeve the cord. :)

Other thoughts:
If you are really going to have three TEC water blocks in you're system, I would go with at least two water loops (CPU & GPUs) and if I had that much money and time, I'd probably go with three water loops (CPU, GPU1, & GPU2). If I really wanted to go all out I'd use a Thermochill PA120.3 on each loop. Then you could handle just about anything. 8)

Post subject: slow returns
 Post Posted: January 23rd, 2008, 7:41 pm 

Hey guys.

Sorry I haven't written back, work work work. Well I have the EVGA MB and 8800GT. a 1200watt single rail PSU, the Q6600 G0, and the OCZ reaper ram. I had to order replacement neoprene gaskets for the MCW60-T as I ripped the one off of the 6800 GT :cry: . Also Koolance has a few water blocks for the north and southbridges I want, so I think I'll install my system on air first while I'm waiting for the blocks to get here. I love that Arcticlean! That stuff works great!! I also purchased some MX-2 thermal compound along with the Zalmans. I like the Zalmans nail polish style applicator. I sure wish other company's sold applicators with their thermal compound.

Defmetal, I was wondering how you installed your Tec on your CPU. I noticed when uninstalling mine that the dielectric grease had changed color from a cream to a greenish brown. With the angle of the MCW6500-T cold plate there leaves a gap for condensation to form. Maybe it was this that caused the change. with that said how did you place your grease?

Rike, hey man I will be posting some pics soon of my old then new system build. Thanks for the photobucket info!

chat at you guys later

Post subject: System build commences
 Post Posted: February 1st, 2008, 12:34 am 

Well, I've put the system together on air for now. Seems Koolance has a water block I'll need for my EVGA 780i MB. Could'nt stand seeing all these parts sitting doing nothing so I put it together.

I'd have to say I am impressed. This Q6600 is nice and so is the 8800gt. I see a second one in my future. Can't wait to get this thing cooled down. :twisted:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: February 1st, 2008, 10:03 am 

I still expect pics when you have it all done! ;)

I actually think putting everything together on air is a good idea. Stress everything out on air @ stock. Then you know if you have a bad part before you dive into the more complex work.

Post subject: New build
 Post Posted: February 1st, 2008, 10:25 pm 

Yea man! I have lots of pictures. I'm kinda anal like that. Just gotta get them sized down for PhotoBucket.. I make shift installed the Koolance cooler today. I think it looks ok. Just have to figure out a way to make a skirt for it.

Ok I uploaded a few pics to Photobucket.

One is of my old Koolance system the rest are the new Cosmos 1000 case/system on air, and the initial install of the koolance cooler.

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii15 ... _56271.jpg

Well theres a few pics. Im not sure if this is the right way to set photobucket up. :?

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » TEC Cooling