Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » TEC Cooling

Post subject: Peltier on the 120 QP radiator
 Post Posted: May 24th, 2007, 11:56 pm 

Is it advisable to put a Swiftech 50x50 Peltier on the 120QP radiator to make the water even cooler?

To cool it i'd figure i'd use an old AMD retail heatsink/fan to dissipate the heat it generates ?

edit: I would use a 120x120x25mm heatsink to sandwich the 226W peltier Swiftech has for sale.

Last edited by ohms on May 25th, 2007, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: May 25th, 2007, 4:33 am 

An old amd heatsink, even with heatpipes would struggle to take the heat of even an 80w peltier, that essentially wouldnt do much :( It's been tried and tested and you would have to put in at least 300 USD to make a peltier water-chiller worthwhile :(

Post subject: Re: Peltier on the 120 QP radiator
 Post Posted: May 25th, 2007, 12:49 pm 

ohms wrote:
Is it advisable to put a Swiftech 50x50 Peltier on the 120QP radiator to make the water even cooler?

To cool it i'd figure i'd use an old AMD retail heatsink/fan to dissipate the heat it generates ?

several issues here:

mechanical: there is no flat surface available to attach the tec cold side to the rad

thermal: an old amd HSF is not going to cut it to dissipate the heat generated by a 226w pelt.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: May 25th, 2007, 3:38 pm 

Ok here is in detail what I wanna do.

I have pretty much the same setup as the Swiftech Antec P180 pre-installed water cooling case (I have an Antec P182B), but my water pump is in a different spot and I have an Aquagrafx 8800 GTX block as well.

I know its a crude picture but this is what I want to do.

I would cut out the fan hole from the back of the case removing the embossed pseudo fan grill, move the radiator into the position of where the 120mm fan was initially, put that 120mm fan on the right side of the radiator pulling cool air into the case. On the left side on the radiator I would put the 226W peltier with the 120mm heatsink (if I can find one) on top of the peltier to dissipate the heat off of it using a 120mm fan on the heatsink.

Someone had already mentioned that since there is no solid contact for the peltier to radiator that it would not work, but if it's touching the fins of the radiator and the fan is pulling cool air through the radiator shouldn't it work?

Any comments if it will work?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: May 25th, 2007, 4:19 pm 

First off, your heatsink thats trying to cool the hot side of the 220pelt would be way to hot. Fact is the rad fan would probably pull in the heat off of that heatsink straight thru the rad:D
Secondly, with hot side being so hot, the cold side would not get very cold.

OPP

Post subject:
 Post Posted: May 25th, 2007, 4:34 pm 

oh, so any suggestions for making my radiator pump out cooler water?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: May 25th, 2007, 5:11 pm 

ohms wrote:
oh, so any suggestions for making my radiator pump out cooler water?

Try and turn the fan around. I believe the fan is sucking air out of the case. If you turn it around you would be blowing outside air in thru the Rad, this air would be cooler air then the inside case air it uses now.

OPP

Post subject:
 Post Posted: May 25th, 2007, 8:45 pm 

I already have it set to that. It was in the manual :P

Post subject:
 Post Posted: May 25th, 2007, 10:09 pm 

the only way to make a tec cool water is to have 2 loops, one is your main one, connected to cpu etc. Put a waterblock into that loop that has the cool side of the tec on it, then for the hot side make a completely seperate loop to cool the hot side of the tec. Or you could put one of radiators in a bar fridge..

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » TEC Cooling