Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » TEC Cooling

Post subject: Crazy TEC setup to alleviate crazy temps
 Post Posted: August 2nd, 2007, 11:16 am 

At the moment I am using a Swiftech based setup on my CPU and its running great! However due to the hot running 680i chipset (MCP/SB and NB) and 8800GTX I need to expand my cooling... especially when I want to go SLI. Can someone help me sanity check my custom TEC setup?

WHAT I WANT TO DO:
Cool NB/SB/VGA and maybe the mobo MOSFETs

Water Cooling Plan:
Add another line for NB, SB, and VGA hooked up to a 3x120 GTX Rad with ~150CFM 25mm or 38mm Deltas.

NB/SB Plans:
Swiftech chipset blocks with 50watt 30mmx30mm TEC on each.

VGA GPU:
Swiftech VGA block with 80watt 40mmx40mm TEC.

-- ALL OF THE ABOVE TUBED IN PARALLEL --

VGA Ram:
Swiftech BGA heatsinks on top of ~8watt 15mmx15mm TECs (wired in a series group of 4 due to the Vmax) with a 120mm ~150CFM Delta side intake and maybe a 80mm ~60CFM blowing over the card from a drive bay.

15mmx15mm TEC units: https://www.shop.customthermoelectric.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=62

MOBO MOSFETS:
Swiftech BGA heatsinks or Thermal Right HR-09U MOSFET heatsink *possibly* on top of ~8watt 15mmx15mm TECs wired in series groups of 3 with resisters to reduce voltage down to spec.

Other than being crazy expensive do you think this will work ok? I am wondering if the Swiftech BGA HS's can handle the termo load of a 8watt TEC and if that setup would be effective at all (or more effective than waiting for a 8800GTX Ram block).

Current Specs:
Intel C2D 6420
EVGA 680i SE
EVGA 8800 GTX
MCW60-T (226 Watt TEC Block)
Lian Li V2000 Plus II Case
MCP655 Pump
1/2 ID (3/4 OD) Tygon Tubing
2x120mm GTX Rad w/ ~150CFM 38mm Deltas

CPU: -16F (bios)
NB: 100F - 120F [idle - est. load] (bios)
SB/MCP: 120 - 140F [idle - est. load] (bios)
VGA: 149F - 167F [idle - load] (nvidia control panel)
Case: 113F (sensor in front of exhaust fan)
Ambient: 80F (thermo on my desk)
MOBO MOSFETs: hot, no sensor on them

Note: I can't monitor all my temps in NVIDA Control panel because it keeps crashing when I go there. I suspect they forgot to program for temperatures below 0F/C and my CPU is below that.

Also, I know my ambient and room temps are high... I am going to address that issue once I move into the smaller room in my townhouse.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: August 11th, 2007, 7:32 am 

Yep, you're officially........retarded. :lol:

1. NB and SB don't require TEC cooling (get something from Thermalright)
2. It's going to take a LOT more than a wimpy 80W TEC to cool your 8800GTX.
3. Mobo MOSFET TEC cooling is the WORSE idea I've ever heard...how are your going to insulate it?
4. What kind of power supply can handle the draw of all those TECs? Even the 600W Meanwell is pushing the limit.
5. TEC VGA Ram cooling???? WTF, are you thinking?
6. It's going to take a LOT more than that wimpy trripple GTX and dual GTX rad to cool everything...look at investing in 4 Thermochills PA120.3

Brendan

Post subject:
 Post Posted: August 11th, 2007, 10:11 am 

lol, didn't had to be all offensive hah, and yes brendan is right!

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x75/ ... Rig2-1.jpg
New Pics, check!
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x75/ ... rignw1.jpg
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x75/ ... rignw2.jpg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: August 24th, 2007, 12:08 pm 

cyberspyder wrote:
1. NB and SB don't require TEC cooling (get something from Thermalright)

NB and SB run at 40C without overclock. I have hit my overclock wall and I doubt my CPU is stopping me. My guess is the mother board might not be able to handle a higher OC at all, but high NB and SB temps make me suspect they could be the culprits.

cyberspyder wrote:
2. It's going to take a LOT more than a wimpy 80W TEC to cool your 8800GTX.

An 80 watt TEC will cool my 8800GTX more than a 0 watt TEC (i.e. just water block w/o TEC)

cyberspyder wrote:
3. Mobo MOSFET TEC cooling is the WORSE idea I've ever heard...how are your going to insulate it?

A.) 8 watt TECs won't create freezing temps on 680i MOSFETs
B.) If I had to insulate it I can get adhesive neoprene gasket at Home Depot and cut it out to any shape I want
C.) Plenty of ideas that are worse then this... including you flame inducing responses to this

cyberspyder wrote:
4. What kind of power supply can handle the draw of all those TECs? Even the 600W Meanwell is pushing the limit.

1200 watt primary with a 300 or 600 watt secondary.

cyberspyder wrote:
5. TEC VGA Ram cooling???? WTF, are you thinking?

RAM gets hot... it gets even hotter after I overclock it

cyberspyder wrote:
6. It's going to take a LOT more than that wimpy trripple GTX and dual GTX rad to cool everything...look at investing in 4 Thermochills PA120.3

dual GTX is handling a OC 6420 with 226 TEC without a problem, coolant and rad only get warm after heavy load when the CPU goes from -20C to -5 - 0C

cyberspyder wrote:
Yep, you're officially........retarded. :lol:

You don't have to insult me, if you don't like my post don't respond to it. If you want to reply, do it in a civil manner...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: August 24th, 2007, 12:09 pm 

JPetrucci wrote:
lol, didn't had to be all offensive hah, and yes brendan is right!

thank you

Post subject:
 Post Posted: August 30th, 2007, 7:05 am 

don't mean to burst your bubble but an 80w tec will actually heat up your gtx - as the tec is the only means of cooling the gpu (ie the watercooling will not draw heat from the gpu) the tec will have to be around rated 50-80 watts above the gtx heat output to counter the inefficiency of the tec. maybe a slightly overvolted 226w tec would serve you better, but then again, thats dumping alot of heat into your water. Also graphics cards in general are not like cpu's in that they dont need temps as low as cpus. not sure how much sense i made there but yea, good luck :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: August 30th, 2007, 2:05 pm 

yeh your welcome! hes just jelous! lol!

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x75/ ... Rig2-1.jpg
New Pics, check!
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x75/ ... rignw1.jpg
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x75/ ... rignw2.jpg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: August 26th, 2008, 10:44 pm 

well to summ in all up in a Civil maner The CPU with what you have now is Fine with a 320 sized rad. a TFC Xchanger - Quad Radiator 480 Might be a Better idea. and then the Nb Sb and Mem could be on a Secondary loop and the Vid cards on the same or a third if you wanted.
http://www.feser-one.com/site/product_i ... cts_id=311

im currently working on a external kit that im gonna sell that will guarantee that you get all of your components to below freezing level. it will be a Box tha you place where ever you want and all you have to do is Put in the WBs and anything else that has to go into your case and plumb it all to the Box that will do all of the Fluid freezing. And it will be Next to silent. its not gonna be cheep and you dont have to beleive it yet. ill have a Prototype sent to some Professional reviewers and then you can see how you like.
FULL CUSTOMIZATION is Key. You tell us What you want to Cool and how cold you want it. and we tell you How Much. then we gather all the Material and test everything befor we send it to you. Then you assemble it and FREEZ YOUR PC!!!!!. ill start a thread when i have enough Pics and Prices and what not

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » TEC Cooling