Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Liquid Cooling

Post subject: Liquid Cooling NVidia GTX 980ti Poseidon (not a full loop)
 Post Posted: May 18th, 2017, 10:14 pm 

Hi!

Here's what I'd like to do.

So, here's my shopping list,

Swiftech H140-X CPU Liquid Cooling
Just 1 will do.

3/8" ID - 1/2" OD purple/orange UV tubing
Length? ... uhhh ...

⅜” x ½” Lok-Seal™ Compression Fitting
Maybe 2? Or 4? ... 40?

Please advise. I'd like to acquire right away.

- Nez

Post subject: Re: Liquid Cooling NVidia GTX 980ti Poseidon (not a full loo
 Post Posted: May 18th, 2017, 11:36 pm 

Hi Nez,

The tubing needs to be 5/8" x 3/8" (16/10mm) for OD/ID. The length of the H140 X tubing might be sufficient enough to stretch to your 980ti Poseidon, but you might want to order the extra 10' Ultra Clear Mayhems Tubing, just in case. How far away are the fans from the furthest inlet/outlet of the 980ti Poseidon? [Edit]: Believe the tubing length is around 14", so check if this is sufficient to reach the 980ti ports. If so, then no additional tubing needs to be purchased.

On your 980ti Poseidon card, is the inlet/outlet port the standard G1/4 thread fitting? If so, then a minimum of 2 fittings is needed. The ⅜” x ⅝” Lok-Seal™ Compression Fitting is the bare minimum you'll need. If you want to have some flexibility and smooth the tubing run the 90° Dual Swivel Elbow Lok-Seal™ adapter should be considered.

Something else to consider. Since you've got space for 2x140mm radiators at the front of the case, why not just get the H240 X2 Prestige? It's got a newer waterblock (Apogee XL2), better reservoir and lighting controls. Plus, with 2x the radiator surface, your 980ti Poseidon will run cooler. The prestige model already comes with the compression fittings, so it'll save you the cost of purchasing additional fittings. If the distance checks out, there should be sufficient tubing length to reach your 980ti Poseiden.

Last edited by steveting99 on May 21st, 2017, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: May 19th, 2017, 1:43 am 

steveting99 wrote:
Hi Nez,

The tubing needs to be 5/8" x 3/8" (16/10mm) for OD/ID. The length of the H140 X tubing might be sufficient enough to stretch to your 980ti Poseidon, but you might want to order the extra 10' Ultra Clear Mayhems Tubing, just in case. How far away are the fans from the furthest inlet/outlet of the 980ti Poseidon?

On your 980ti Poseidon card, is the inlet/outlet port the standard G1/4 thread fitting? If so, then a minimum of 2 fittings is needed. The ⅜” x ⅝” Lok-Seal™ Compression Fitting is the bare minimum you'll need. If you want to have some flexibility and smooth the tubing run the 90° Dual Swivel Elbow Lok-Seal™ adapter should be considered.

Something else to consider. Since you've got space for 2x140mm radiators at the front of the case, why not just get the H240 X2 Prestige? It's got a newer waterblock (Apogee XL2), better reservoir and lighting controls. Plus, with 2x the radiator surface, your 980ti Poseidon will run cooler. The prestige model already comes with the compression fittings, so it'll save you the cost of purchasing additional fittings. If the distance checks out, there should be sufficient tubing length to reach your 980ti Poseiden.

Thank you for tubing info! I don't have an exact length for distance from fans. I'm at work. :(
Thank you for fitting info! I'm not sure about the need for the swivel elbows. I'm predicting it would be pretty smooth considering the size of the case (Caselabs Magnum M8A) and longer tubing would help with this.
Thank you for upgrade suggestion. Due to payment options for being in Canada my search took me from product to product, from site to site, and eventually I landed on the apogee version of the same model you're suggesting. I've purchased the Swiftech H240 X2 2x140 mm Drive X2 AIO CPU Cooler. https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

The only thing that confuses me is the description on the product page. It says,
"The Swiftech H240 X2 is available in two versions: Standard version with barb fittings and Swiftech Helix fans, or Prestige version using Swiftech Lok Seal black chrome compression fittings and Noiseblocker NB-eLoop fans. Also available are other two radiator sizes, and each radiator size comes in Standard and Prestige version Nowhere on the product page does it specify, except the pictures are all black chrome fittings, so I believe that means the product is the prestige version. Until I connected the pictures it felt a bit much like mystery meat.."

I've never done this stuff before. So ... please check back as I'm certain I'll need halp. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: May 19th, 2017, 8:36 am 

You've purchased the standard H240 X2 from newegg Canada and not the Prestige model. Not sure if newegg Canada stocks the Prestige model - call them up and check with them. If newegg doesn't have the Prestige model, contact Swiftech sales in the states and they can send one over the border. You'll have to pony up the shipping and taxes, so take those into account as well as the price difference between the standard and Prestige models.

As far as I know, difference between the standard and Prestige X2 models are:
(a) Standard model has barb fittings while the Prestige model has the compression fittings; and
(b) Standard model has Swiftech's Helix fans while the Prestige model has the Noiseblocker fans, which are quieter.

The radiators are the same in both the standard and Prestige models, so no difference there. I went for the Prestige model because of both (a) and (b).

I'm not familiar with the Caselabs Magnum M8A, but you might want to check the product dimensions to see what is the largest radiator you can fit and go with that if the budget allows for it. I.e. if you can fit 3x120 fans on one side, most likely you can put in the larger H320 X2 Prestige which will give you better cooling performance on the graphics card. The difference between 2x140 vs. 3x120 radiator is around 12% better cooling.

The good thing about Swiftech is the ability to expand the loop later on and add more radiators, if you think the existing is not sufficient. It depends on how high you want to overclock that Asus 980ti graphics card. :D (Edit: Just checked out Asus website that the 980ti Poseidon has G1/4 ports - so you're good to go).

For the cooling loop to the 980ti, you'll have to:
(1) drain the unit;
(2) connect up the tubing with either bard/compression fittings to your graphics card; and then
(3) re-fill the system with new coolant.

Swiftech has made a YouTube video on how to do this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fpum4J ... 42qOnqFt7M and it's not that hard to do. Most likely you'll have to take out the 980ti and connect things up outside of the Caselabs Magnum M8A.

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Liquid Cooling