Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Liquid Cooling

Post subject: MCP50X Question
 Post Posted: May 13th, 2016, 3:01 pm 

Does the MCP50X run at a full 100% when the PWM is not plugged in? I'm curious because I am wanting to run the pump off of a power supply that is not connected to my Motherboard. I've always had a speed controlled MCP655 hooked to an external radiator and a separate external powersupply. I've since added the Swiftech Maelstrom V2 and wanted to disconnect it from my motherboard/main PSU and instead hook it to the same PSU I have powering my MCP655 so that the liquid cooling is always flowing perfectly no matter if my PC is on or off. The problem is the PWM connector. When I disconnect it the RPM ramps of really high on the MCP50X pump and I'm wondering if it's skyrocketing to 100% RPM or not. The pump itself has always been extremely loud compared to the silent MCP655 even if the MCP50X is only at 40-50% RPM. So I'm wondering if this pump is actually hitting really high RPM without the PWM being disconnected or if it stays at a lower 50-60% or something of that nature.

I'm actually starting to regret buying this Maelstrom since it's so loud. I can hear it over a window Air Conditioning unit which sits next to the PC and over any fan I have running in the room (and that's at 40% RPM. However the MCP655 is virtually silent even at speed setting 5.

So how does this pump run without the PWM attached (RPM wise) and is it safe to run like that for any length of time?

Post subject: Re: MCP50X Question
 Post Posted: May 14th, 2016, 9:04 am 

Brushy wrote:
Does the MCP50X run at a full 100% when the PWM is not plugged in?

Yes it does. When I built my new computer and did a leak test with only the pump power plugged in it ran at 100% speed. That created a problem because the pump was running so fast it was creating a vortex in the reservoir that was putting microbubbles in the loop. But when I had power to the motherboard and pwm control via the bios to slow it down everything was OK.

Post subject: Re: MCP50X Question
 Post Posted: September 1st, 2016, 5:03 pm 

Get the Swiftech PWM fan controller and plug it to your motherboard CPU fan header. Plug the MCP50X pump to the fan controller and go to your bios and do manual adjust the PWM controller. On my Gigabyte motherboard I set it to manual and 1.0 PWM. I used this reservoir:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quality-Cylinde ... SwX~dWmVUe

Use a male to male G1/4 adapter to mate the reservoir outlet to inlet port on the MCP50X. There are 2 inlet port on the reservoir and use as inlet port coming from the rad. You don't want to run the inlet port at the top because water will run like a waterfall and create a lot of bubbles and air vortex and a noisy pump. Tilt your case to take out the air from the system. You can tell if pump run very well without air and bubbles. The pump will ramp up to 4000 rpm +/- and it will sound like a 747 on take off. I barely hear pump noise when I am using the pump as idle. the fans makes more audible noise.

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Liquid Cooling