Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Liquid Cooling

Post subject: Dual CPU in Cosmos II Cooler Master - Bottom Mount H240-X
 Post Posted: December 29th, 2014, 7:18 am 

I am planning a dual CPU build with twin H240-X coolers. I'll be running Xeon E5-2630 V2 Hexa-core CPU's. One radiator mounts readily in the top case location however, the 2nd radiator will not fit in the lower location parallel to the case sides (factory suggestion). Yet, I can get the 2nd cooler to fit with the fans facing down if I remove the lower hard drive rack - and of course cut a hole in the bottom of the case. Unfortunately, the Swiftech installation sheet notes that the fans facing down orientation is not preferred. Can one of the experts comment on why this orientation is not desired?

I chose the Swiftech products because of online reviews. One of the elements of the reviews were the large pump leading to future expandability. Can I run one pump and one radiator yet cool two CPU's? i.e. daisy chain the heat exchangers? If the fans down orientation is not desired because of bubbling or pump cavitation, can I build a two radiator/pump closed loop system with one pump's output pressurizing the input to the second pump with fans facing down? Suggestions welcome. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Dual CPU in Cosmos II Cooler Master - Bottom Mount H240-
 Post Posted: December 29th, 2014, 10:29 am 

geophys wrote:
I am planning a dual CPU build with twin H240-X coolers. I'll be running Xeon E5-2630 V2 Hexa-core CPU's. One radiator mounts readily in the top case location however, the 2nd radiator will not fit in the lower location parallel to the case sides (factory suggestion). Yet, I can get the 2nd cooler to fit with the fans facing down if I remove the lower hard drive rack - and of course cut a hole in the bottom of the case. Unfortunately, the Swiftech installation sheet notes that the fans facing down orientation is not preferred. Can one of the experts comment on why this orientation is not desired?

I chose the Swiftech products because of online reviews. One of the elements of the reviews were the large pump leading to future expandability. Can I run one pump and one radiator yet cool two CPU's? i.e. daisy chain the heat exchangers? If the fans down orientation is not desired because of bubbling or pump cavitation, can I build a two radiator/pump closed loop system with one pump's output pressurizing the input to the second pump with fans facing down? Suggestions welcome. Thanks

The reason you can't run this kit with the pump on top of the radiator is that in that orientation the pump will just continue to suck in any air that occurs due to evaporation. This will cause the pump to be noisier than it should be and could also lead to premature failure.

My suggestion would be to simply add a second radiator to your loop. The pump in this kit can handle
that loop configuration. These are much stronger pumps than what most AIO kits come with and therefore it is quite expandable. I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Post Posted: December 29th, 2014, 2:18 pm 

Thanks Bryan.
Can my 2nd 240-X be configured to simply act as a radiator? i.e. Can I plumb it in the loop but not activate the pump? If not, does Swiftech have a radiator to bolt to the 240-X fans?

Post Posted: December 29th, 2014, 2:35 pm 

geophys wrote:
Thanks Bryan.
Can my 2nd 240-X be configured to simply act as a radiator? i.e. Can I plumb it in the loop but not activate the pump? If not, does Swiftech have a radiator to bolt to the 240-X fans?

I wouldn't do that. Just purchase a dual 140mm fan radiator. Our MCR240 QP or XP radiators would be fine for what you're trying to accomplish. I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Post Posted: December 30th, 2014, 9:48 am 

Really appreciate the feedback Bryan. I like the MCR240 QP and will purchase it.

Post Posted: January 14th, 2017, 4:03 pm 

I have the h240 x2 prestige mounted on the bottom of the case and was wondering if I add a reservoir to that's higher than the pump would that help with the air bubbles problem?

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Liquid Cooling