Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Liquid Cooling

Post subject: Steadily Climbing Temperature H220
 Post Posted: September 25th, 2017, 7:29 pm 

Hi guys. I was getting very high idle CPU temperatures (98C) the other day, so I decided to empty, clean, and refill my cooler. Right now, the pump is plugged into SYSFAN1, one radiator fan is plugged into CPUFAN2 and the other radiator fan is plugged into the PWM splitter I am using, which is plugged into SYSFAN2. When I power up my computer and view the temps in the BIOS, I watch them start around 40C and slowly climb to 80C over the course of around 2 minutes. I can see that the fans are going, but the pumps reports 0 RPM to the BIOS. It surely must be pumping, or the computer would overheat and shut down. How do I go forward with troubleshooting the cooler?

Post subject: Re: Steadily Climbing Temperature H220
 Post Posted: September 27th, 2017, 11:57 pm 

Abbott wrote:
Hi guys. I was getting very high idle CPU temperatures (98C) the other day, so I decided to empty, clean, and refill my cooler. Right now, the pump is plugged into SYSFAN1, one radiator fan is plugged into CPUFAN2 and the other radiator fan is plugged into the PWM splitter I am using, which is plugged into SYSFAN2. When I power up my computer and view the temps in the BIOS, I watch them start around 40C and slowly climb to 80C over the course of around 2 minutes. I can see that the fans are going, but the pumps reports 0 RPM to the BIOS. It surely must be pumping, or the computer would overheat and shut down. How do I go forward with troubleshooting the cooler?

From cold boot, go into the BIOS of your motherboard. Manually increase the pump speed (i.e. adjust SYSFAN1 PWM signal) - are you getting seeing any RPM signal? If not, touch the top of the pump and do you feel any vibration to indicate the motor is spinning? I had made the mistake of not connecting the power cable to the pump, which means the pump was not spinning. Double and triple check your cabling.

The BIOS on your motherboard will monitor CPU temp over time. Check the trend line to see if it's increasing.

Generally it's better to connect the pump four pin cable to the CPU fan header as it has PWM control. Check your motherboard if SYSFAN1 has PWM feature as not all do.

Post Posted: October 2nd, 2017, 5:40 pm 

steveting99 wrote:
From cold boot, go into the BIOS of your motherboard. Manually increase the pump speed (i.e. adjust SYSFAN1 PWM signal) - are you getting seeing any RPM signal? If not, touch the top of the pump and do you feel any vibration to indicate the motor is spinning? I had made the mistake of not connecting the power cable to the pump, which means the pump was not spinning. Double and triple check your cabling.

The BIOS on your motherboard will monitor CPU temp over time. Check the trend line to see if it's increasing.

Generally it's better to connect the pump four pin cable to the CPU fan header as it has PWM control. Check your motherboard if SYSFAN1 has PWM feature as not all do.

I tried manually adjusting the pump speed, but I still got 0 RPM. I tried plugging into different PWM-enabled buses, only to find that they all report 0 RPM. The MSI BIOS plots the CPU temp over time, and I can confirm that the temperature slowly rises over time. With the pump plugged in and the computer powered on, I can not feel any kind of vibrations from the pump. I presume the pump is dead. Is there an option to buy only a replacement pump, or would I need to buy a completely new cooler?

Thanks for the help.

Post Posted: October 6th, 2017, 1:50 am 

Abbott wrote:
I tried manually adjusting the pump speed, but I still got 0 RPM. I tried plugging into different PWM-enabled buses, only to find that they all report 0 RPM. The MSI BIOS plots the CPU temp over time, and I can confirm that the temperature slowly rises over time. With the pump plugged in and the computer powered on, I can not feel any kind of vibrations from the pump. I presume the pump is dead. Is there an option to buy only a replacement pump, or would I need to buy a completely new cooler?

Thanks for the help.

You'll have to contact Swiftech via email: help@swiftech.com

Mac will help you out.

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Liquid Cooling