Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Liquid Cooling

Post subject: Apogee Drive II : is it future proof?
 Post Posted: January 25th, 2016, 3:21 am 

Hi there,

I was using an H220 in a customized Bitfenix Phenom on a custom loop, including a gpu R9-290X and an additionnal Radiator 120mm. You can find photos here
http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/OverclockingCoolingModding/Water-Xtreme-Cooling/bitfenix-prodigy-watercooling-sujet_280806_1.htm

Unfortunately, during last Christmas vacation, during a small maintenance operation H220 pump leaked during trial (outside case, not mounted on motherboards), and I've truly done silly things : ignoring all alerts because I didn't find the leakage origin (near input elbow on pump), I assembled my motherboad (not powered), and it leaked on motherboard...at last I must admit that there was a leakage and attempt to dry the fluid with hair drier...I guess I've cooked the motherboard instead of fluid..:(

To sum up, I lost my motherboard, and I replaced my H220 waterblock/pump by a Fractal Design Kelvin T12 one as a quick solution. However, it's noisy on load, and not very powerful even at maximum voltage.

Well i want to get rid of the FD waterblock/pump but, before spending my money, I would like to spend on the most future proof solution.

Here what I consider :
[*]Main idea : Replace this FD Kelvin T12 waterblock/pump by a Swiftech Apogee Drive ii (with the awesome MCP35X), very useful for me as I'm using a lot of Quick Disconnect/Connect (koolance QD3)
[*]Add separate pump+reservoir combo : for me, not enough place, and tube routing is hasardous
[*]Replace heart of my system and switch to either H220X or EK predator 240...but it's hardly where I want to go

So here is my question : is Apogee Drive II a future proof solution, especially associated to Radiator/Reservoir MCR-H220?

What I like on this Apogee Drive II are :
[*]A full DDC pump, you can replace it to any DDC pump....very future proof design!
[*]G 1/4 fittings!
[*]Compatible with all current Intel and AMD socket (thanks to adapters)

What I don't like are :
[*]Apogee Drive II is a late 2012 product, yet a tremendous one, but it's quite old. What about if a new socket arrive and is different to current ones? will swiftech will continue to support Apogee Drive II? Will there be any Apogee Drive III under study?
[*]I'm using it in relation with MCR-H220 radiator/reservoir...what about if it's failing (like the H220 pump)? I might returned to fillport (like in old days?..:):))
[*]In Europe, this Apogee Drive II is pretty hard to find to buy...:(

Thank you in advance for your feelings/thoughts/opinions!

Post subject: Re: Apogee Drive II : is it future proof?
 Post Posted: January 26th, 2016, 9:38 pm 

No feedback?..:)

Please could someone from Swiftech could clarify status of this Apogee Drive II?

Post Posted: January 27th, 2016, 12:23 pm 

MarcParis wrote:
Hi there,

I was using an H220 in a customized Bitfenix Phenom on a custom loop, including a gpu R9-290X and an additionnal Radiator 120mm. You can find photos here
http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/OverclockingCoolingModding/Water-Xtreme-Cooling/bitfenix-prodigy-watercooling-sujet_280806_1.htm

Unfortunately, during last Christmas vacation, during a small maintenance operation H220 pump leaked during trial (outside case, not mounted on motherboards), and I've truly done silly things : ignoring all alerts because I didn't find the leakage origin (near input elbow on pump), I assembled my motherboad (not powered), and it leaked on motherboard...at last I must admit that there was a leakage and attempt to dry the fluid with hair drier...I guess I've cooked the motherboard instead of fluid..:(

To sum up, I lost my motherboard, and I replaced my H220 waterblock/pump by a Fractal Design Kelvin T12 one as a quick solution. However, it's noisy on load, and not very powerful even at maximum voltage.

Well i want to get rid of the FD waterblock/pump but, before spending my money, I would like to spend on the most future proof solution.

Here what I consider :
[*]Main idea : Replace this FD Kelvin T12 waterblock/pump by a Swiftech Apogee Drive ii (with the awesome MCP35X), very useful for me as I'm using a lot of Quick Disconnect/Connect (koolance QD3)
[*]Add separate pump+reservoir combo : for me, not enough place, and tube routing is hasardous
[*]Replace heart of my system and switch to either H220X or EK predator 240...but it's hardly where I want to go

So here is my question : is Apogee Drive II a future proof solution, especially associated to Radiator/Reservoir MCR-H220?

What I like on this Apogee Drive II are :
[*]A full DDC pump, you can replace it to any DDC pump....very future proof design!
[*]G 1/4 fittings!
[*]Compatible with all current Intel and AMD socket (thanks to adapters)

What I don't like are :
[*]Apogee Drive II is a late 2012 product, yet a tremendous one, but it's quite old. What about if a new socket arrive and is different to current ones? will swiftech will continue to support Apogee Drive II? Will there be any Apogee Drive III under study?
[*]I'm using it in relation with MCR-H220 radiator/reservoir...what about if it's failing (like the H220 pump)? I might returned to fillport (like in old days?..:):))
[*]In Europe, this Apogee Drive II is pretty hard to find to buy...:(

Thank you in advance for your feelings/thoughts/opinions!

I am not sure what you means by future proof. We will keep supporting it until we discontinued the unit. Adapt future socket, as long as we can adapt it without redesign the unit itself, we will make adapter for it. In Europe, Bacata is our distributor, you can contact them for availability.

Post Posted: January 28th, 2016, 1:22 am 

DangoPC wrote:
I am not sure what you means by future proof. We will keep supporting it until we discontinued the unit. Adapt future socket, as long as we can adapt it without redesign the unit itself, we will make adapter for it. In Europe, Bacata is our distributor, you can contact them for availability.

Thank you for your answer! It's exactly what I wanted to know..:)
If you support future socket (AM4 for example) as long as you can adapt some brackets, it's perfectly fine for me..:)

I know for Bacata, but it's only for professionals...and even they are not supplying this Apogee Drive II anymore. Anyway I found it in Netherlands, I guess it's the only place we can find it in Europe..:)

After I can buy it directly from US, but I will face customs fees..:D

Post Posted: February 8th, 2017, 9:36 am 

As AM4 cpu will be released in less than 1 month, I would like to know if you will develop AM4 cpu bracket for Apogee Drive II please

Thank you in advance!

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Liquid Cooling