Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Technical support

Post subject: noob question - how to determine if your pump is working?
 Post Posted: October 29th, 2017, 1:16 pm 

Just installed a H240X2 in my Enthoo luxe case.
Added some coloring.

I expected to see at least a few tiny bubbles on boot to confirm that there was a proper water flow and my pump was working.
However, I see nothing.

Is there a way to confirm that your pump is working properly on a new build?

Post subject: Re: noob question - how to determine if your pump is working
 Post Posted: October 30th, 2017, 8:12 pm 

art3mis wrote:
Just installed a H240X2 in my Enthoo luxe case.
Added some coloring.

I expected to see at least a few tiny bubbles on boot to confirm that there was a proper water flow and my pump was working.
However, I see nothing.

Is there a way to confirm that your pump is working properly on a new build?

If you've plugged in the pump 4 pin cable into the CPU fan header, one check the speed reported in either BIOS or Windows. Generally if your pump is not working, the BIOS does not receive the tachometer speed signal and there would be a warning alarm.

To physically check if the pump is rotating, have a look at the side of the reservoir. The pump impeller is behind the reservoir - at least in my H240 X2 it is. When the PC is not turned ON, one can see the pump impeller stationary. When turning ON the PC, the pump impeller will rotate.

Post Posted: October 31st, 2017, 10:52 am 

steveting99 wrote:

If you've plugged in the pump 4 pin cable into the CPU fan header, one check the speed reported in either BIOS or Windows. Generally if your pump is not working, the BIOS does not receive the tachometer speed signal and there would be a warning alarm.

To physically check if the pump is rotating, have a look at the side of the reservoir. The pump impeller is behind the reservoir - at least in my H240 X2 it is. When the PC is not turned ON, one can see the pump impeller stationary. When turning ON the PC, the pump impeller will rotate.

Thanks
One point of confusion is whether it is better to use the supplied PWM fan hub for the pump and fans or to separate the pump from the fans. ie use the hub just for the fans, plug the hub into CPU_FAN and the PUMP into??
Also on my mobo (ASUS X99-A2) I have both CPU_FAN and a dedicated PUMP header.
Does it make any sense to plug my pump directly into this PUMP header?

Post Posted: November 1st, 2017, 12:25 am 

art3mis wrote:
Thanks
One point of confusion is whether it is better to use the supplied PWM fan hub for the pump and fans or to separate the pump from the fans. ie use the hub just for the fans, plug the hub into CPU_FAN and the PUMP into??
Also on my mobo (ASUS X99-A2) I have both CPU_FAN and a dedicated PUMP header.
Does it make any sense to plug my pump directly into this PUMP header?

It's generally better to have separate control for the pump and fans. The reason being is that the cooling is more effective with fans than the pump. The RPM range on the pump will differ to the RPM range of the fans.

So the idea is directly connect pump RPM cable to CPU_FAN header. Set the minimum speed so it's inaudible during normal operation, do this through your BIOS or app in Windows if available (Asus has their app called Fan Expert). I.e. say 40% pump speed from CPU temp from 20 deg C to 55 deg C. You can ramp up the pump speed when the CPU load temps increase. I.e. from 50% above 55 deg C all the way to 100% speed at say 85 deg C. There is some wiggle room in these settings, with the trade off between pump noise. Asus Fan Expert has three points of control. It's a bit course, but one can do some experiments to get it about right. Took me half a dozen goes before getting the settings to where I liked it. When the pump operates at high speed, note that noise will be drowned out due to fans also operating at high speeds.

Connect the fans four pin cable to the hub and from the hub, connect to any four pin available fan header on your ASUS X99-A2 motherboard. Check the motherboard fan header supports PWM mode (most of Asus fan headers do) as the fans operate in PWM. i.e. four pins. As the hub is self powered, it will not draw any current form the motherboard fan header. On your BIOS or app in Windows (Asus Fan Expert), set the fan speed to a minimum value of say 45% from 10 deg C up to 65 deg C. This will keep the fans at a good constant speed with low noise as the CPU temps jump and down in normal use. As the CPU temp goes above 65 deg C, do a slow ramp up to 85 deg C where the fans are expected to be operating at 100%. This will give the maximum cooling, but loudest operation in terms of noise. Again there is some wiggle room for the settings. The trade off is now thermal performance vs. noise.

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Technical support