Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Technical support

Post subject: H240 X2 Fan Speed?
 Post Posted: September 19th, 2017, 8:51 am 

I recently bought a nice 2 month old PC that has the H240 X2 liquid cooler. My basic question is, should the fan speed of the cooler increase and decrease based on CPU usage?

I have an Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac motherboard and AMD Ryzen 5 CPU overclocked to 3.9ghz, 1.375v (stable). I know that others have been able to overclock this CPU faster with a liquid cooler.

I have set custom fan speeds in the uefi menu to something like this:
30C - 30%
40C - 50%
50C - 60%
60C - 80%

When I am adjusting these fan speeds in the uefi I can hear the fans ramp up and down some. But during normal operation the fans never increase in speed from the 30% base. Under load I am seeing the CPU temp hover around 56C (briefly hitting 61C at times) but the fans never kick in higher.

If I push the overclock to 4ghz at 1.425v the PC will shut down under heavy load, but again I never see the CPU temp go above 56C stable. So I'm really confused as to what is causing the shut down. I wonder if the CPU is somehow spiking up above the limit of 75C causing the shut down.

Post subject: Re: H240 X2 Fan Speed?
 Post Posted: September 19th, 2017, 11:27 pm 

joelshort wrote:
I recently bought a nice 2 month old PC that has the H240 X2 liquid cooler. My basic question is, should the fan speed of the cooler increase and decrease based on CPU usage?

I have an Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac motherboard and AMD Ryzen 5 CPU overclocked to 3.9ghz, 1.375v (stable). I know that others have been able to overclock this CPU faster with a liquid cooler.

I have set custom fan speeds in the uefi menu to something like this:
30C - 30%
40C - 50%
50C - 60%
60C - 80%

When I am adjusting these fan speeds in the uefi I can hear the fans ramp up and down some. But during normal operation the fans never increase in speed from the 30% base. Under load I am seeing the CPU temp hover around 56C (briefly hitting 61C at times) but the fans never kick in higher.

If I push the overclock to 4ghz at 1.425v the PC will shut down under heavy load, but again I never see the CPU temp go above 56C stable. So I'm really confused as to what is causing the shut down. I wonder if the CPU is somehow spiking up above the limit of 75C causing the shut down.

Use a free software called HWiNFO64 to track and trend the pump / fan speed of the H240 X2.

How have you connected the pump and fans to Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac motherboard? Normally the pump is connected to the CPU header and the fans are connected to one of the available fan headers. You are then able to adjust the curves for the pump and fans separately.

Check to make sure you've got the right curve for the right equipment.

The pump max RPM can go to 3,000.
The fans max RPM goes to 1,800.

When you max the signal to each curve, one should be able to know which equipment is which.

Post Posted: September 20th, 2017, 8:11 am 

Thanks for the reply. It will be a few days before I can explore this. As far as what the pump and cooler are connected to on the motherboard, I'm not sure as I did not build the PC. HWI just says under the motherboard section that there are fans on "CPU1" and "CPU Optional" with fan speeds of 1700rpm and 1000rpm respectively.

Post Posted: September 21st, 2017, 8:32 pm 

joelshort wrote:
Thanks for the reply. It will be a few days before I can explore this. As far as what the pump and cooler are connected to on the motherboard, I'm not sure as I did not build the PC. HWI just says under the motherboard section that there are fans on "CPU1" and "CPU Optional" with fan speeds of 1700rpm and 1000rpm respectively.

Leave the connection to CPU1 for the pump. Use one of the spare fan header for controlling the fans on the radiator.

You can download the quick start guide for the H240 X2 from here: http://www.swiftech.com/h240x2.aspx#tab5

The four pin connection from the pump goes to four pin CPU1 header on your motherboard.

For each fan on the radiator, connect the four pin cable to the PWM splitter board with one of the fans connected to CH1. The four pin cable from PWM splitter board then goes to one of the spare fan headers on your motherboard. Be sure to check that the SATA power connections to the board and pump are in place.

Post Posted: September 25th, 2017, 2:51 pm 

steveting99 wrote:
joelshort wrote:

Leave the connection to CPU1 for the pump. Use one of the spare fan header for controlling the fans on the radiator.

You can download the quick start guide for the H240 X2 from here: http://www.swiftech.com/h240x2.aspx#tab5

The four pin connection from the pump goes to four pin CPU1 header on your motherboard.

For each fan on the radiator, connect the four pin cable to the PWM splitter board with one of the fans connected to CH1. The four pin cable from PWM splitter board then goes to one of the spare fan headers on your motherboard. Be sure to check that the SATA power connections to the board and pump are in place.

I finally had a chance to look at this more closely. I appreciate your help but your instructions here don't match what I see either in the quick start guide or on my hardware. (For example there is no 4 pin connection from the pump.) The quick start guide matched what I see in the hardware so I used that. The previous owner of the computer had the wires connected much differently so I think that was part of the problem. Now, I THINK I hear the fans speeding up and the cooler must be working. Running a prime95 stress test I can only get the CPU temp up to around 56C.

One last question, is there a way to tell if the pump is actually running? I don't see any way to tell.

Post Posted: September 25th, 2017, 6:43 pm 

joelshort wrote:

I finally had a chance to look at this more closely. I appreciate your help but your instructions here don't match what I see either in the quick start guide or on my hardware. (For example there is no 4 pin connection from the pump.) The quick start guide matched what I see in the hardware so I used that. The previous owner of the computer had the wires connected much differently so I think that was part of the problem. Now, I THINK I hear the fans speeding up and the cooler must be working. Running a prime95 stress test I can only get the CPU temp up to around 56C.

One last question, is there a way to tell if the pump is actually running? I don't see any way to tell.

The quick start guide shows all 4-pin cables (one for the pump and one for each fan for a total of three ) connected onto the PWM splitter, with the pump 4-pin connected to channel 1. From the splitter, there is 4-pin cable connected to CPU1 4-pin header on the motherboard. There can only be one PWM signal to control everything on the H240 X2 via the splitter and this is by the pump.

Note that pump speed is up to 3,000rpm while the fans are much lower at 1,800rpm. The minimum speed of the pump/fans are also different. The pump/fans will speed up/down depending on the CPU temp. This will work, but not ideal for everyone. It's generally better to have separate speed control for the pump and fans. With separate speed controls, one can have both quiet and cool performance.

You can physically see the pump rotating when there is a PWM signal. By adjusting the PWM signal from CPU1, the pump's speed of rotation will change. The PWM signal can be adjusted via the BIOS or software app on Windows.

Post Posted: September 26th, 2017, 5:10 pm 

steveting99 wrote:

The quick start guide shows all 4-pin cables (one for the pump and one for each fan for a total of three ) connected onto the PWM splitter, with the pump 4-pin connected to channel 1. From the splitter, there is 4-pin cable connected to CPU1 4-pin header on the motherboard. There can only be one PWM signal to control everything on the H240 X2 via the splitter and this is by the pump.

Note that pump speed is up to 3,000rpm while the fans are much lower at 1,800rpm. The minimum speed of the pump/fans are also different. The pump/fans will speed up/down depending on the CPU temp. This will work, but not ideal for everyone. It's generally better to have separate speed control for the pump and fans. With separate speed controls, one can have both quiet and cool performance.

You can physically see the pump rotating when there is a PWM signal. By adjusting the PWM signal from CPU1, the pump's speed of rotation will change. The PWM signal can be adjusted via the BIOS or software app on Windows.

It's obvious to me now that the pump wasn't running at all before. I figured out your suggestion of connecting the pump to the CPU1 header and the fans to the CPU1_Fan header. I now have independent control of the pump and fans.

A few follow up questions:
1. I can hear the pump running (speeding up and slowing down based on my settings). Should I be able to hear it, or should it be silent?
2. Can you give me any guidance on fan and pump speeds based on CPU temp? For example, here is how I have both the pump and fans (separately) configured on my motherboard:
30C - 30%
40C - 50%
50C - 60%
60C - 80%
65C - 100%
Critical temp - 75C

Or, should I just have the pump running at 3000rpm at all times?

Post Posted: September 26th, 2017, 5:36 pm 

I'm doing some stress tests and watching the CPU temp. I'm only seeing a 2C difference in temp between the fans/pump on the lowest speed and running full out. The max temp I see is 61C and 63C respectively. I guess I was expecting more of a difference(?)

Post Posted: September 27th, 2017, 1:03 am 

joelshort wrote:

It's obvious to me now that the pump wasn't running at all before. I figured out your suggestion of connecting the pump to the CPU1 header and the fans to the CPU1_Fan header. I now have independent control of the pump and fans.

A few follow up questions:
1. I can hear the pump running (speeding up and slowing down based on my settings). Should I be able to hear it, or should it be silent?
2. Can you give me any guidance on fan and pump speeds based on CPU temp? For example, here is how I have both the pump and fans (separately) configured on my motherboard:
30C - 30%
40C - 50%
50C - 60%
60C - 80%
65C - 100%
Critical temp - 75C

Or, should I just have the pump running at 3000rpm at all times?

The idea is to set the pump speed so that the flow is good and one cannot hear it. Generally set and forget type. I've got mine set at 50% up to 65 deg C then ramps up to 100% at 75 deg C. That means at normal use the pump is inaudible and provides sufficient flow to keep the CPU cool. When under load, the pump ramps up and the noise from the fans will be louder than the pump itself. This is a two step controller for the pump and works well on most modern motherboards.

For the fans, I've got both fans running at 35% speed as the minimum from 10 deg C up to 50 deg C. The speed ramps up gently to 50% up to 65 deg C. From 65 deg C onward, there is sharp ramp up to 100% due to the set point limitations imposed by Asus Fan Expert software. The idea is that during normal use, the system is quiet. When there is loading on the CPU during stress tests, the fans spin up to keep the CPU cool. When then fans are at 100% speed, it's quite loud. Going with an external fan controller to overcome this issue by having a more granular fan curve and better control by looking at a delta T between air/water temperatures.

Most people are sensitive to sudden changes in fan speeds, if possible, try to implement a hysteresis loop time delay for spin up/down on the fans. This way when the CPU temp jumps up and down quickly, the fans will continue to operate at a more constant speed and thus be less annoying. Not sure if your motherboard supports this feature.

Post Posted: September 27th, 2017, 6:09 am 

steveting99 wrote:

The idea is to set the pump speed so that the flow is good and one cannot hear it. Generally set and forget type. I've got mine set at 50% up to 65 deg C then ramps up to 100% at 75 deg C. That means at normal use the pump is inaudible and provides sufficient flow to keep the CPU cool. When under load, the pump ramps up and the noise from the fans will be louder than the pump itself. This is a two step controller for the pump and works well on most modern motherboards.

For the fans, I've got both fans running at 35% speed as the minimum from 10 deg C up to 50 deg C. The speed ramps up gently to 50% up to 65 deg C. From 65 deg C onward, there is sharp ramp up to 100% due to the set point limitations imposed by Asus Fan Expert software. The idea is that during normal use, the system is quiet. When there is loading on the CPU during stress tests, the fans spin up to keep the CPU cool. When then fans are at 100% speed, it's quite loud. Going with an external fan controller to overcome this issue by having a more granular fan curve and better control by looking at a delta T between air/water temperatures.

Most people are sensitive to sudden changes in fan speeds, if possible, try to implement a hysteresis loop time delay for spin up/down on the fans. This way when the CPU temp jumps up and down quickly, the fans will continue to operate at a more constant speed and thus be less annoying. Not sure if your motherboard supports this feature.

Thanks, this is helpful.
The motherboard is an Asrock X370 Killer SLI/ac and it does support creating curves for controlling the fans.
I've just discovered in Hardware Info that there are two places where the CPU temp is read. HWI reports the temp under the CPU section, but it also reports another CPU temp under the motherboard section. The MB CPU temp reads about 10C less, and I suspect that is the temp that is controlling the fans/pump which doesn't seem correct. I'll have to explore this more.

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Technical support