Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Technical support

Post subject: Apogee XL2 nut head sheared off - HELP! [SOLVED]
 Post Posted: January 28th, 2017, 9:04 am 

Was replacing the TIM on a client's CPU/Apogee XL2 when I noticed the backplate was not flush with the motherboard. Decided to loosen all 4 nuts and re-tighten. As I was tightening the nut in the corner nearest the VRMs and capacitors, the nut head sheared clean off, leaving the shank securely in the mounting hole with the back nut firmly lodged in the recess of the backplate.

The shank won't just push through the mounting hole, so it must be threaded into more than just the back nut. And I can't undo the back nut since it is firmly lodged in the recess. HELP!! How to remove this without damaging the motherboard (ASUS Z170-AR)?

And since the nut head itself has threads to accommodate the CPU block's mounting pins, it's not like I can just pop into the locall hardware store for a replacement. Would Swiftech send me a one perhaps?

Well, at least I now know a poor mount was the cause of his poor temps. But to be honest, I'm sorry I touched the damn thing. Despairing of a solution. Any ideas?

UPDATE:

OK. Managed to remove shank from motherboard. There was just enough of the shank protruding from the back to grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and gently thread it out by turning it counter-clockwise. So, probably the biggest nightmare solved.

Now I just need to source a replacement. The easiest would be a to get a replacement from the manufacturer (Swiftech) but that involves a long wait to get it shipped to Australia.

The shank length appears to be about 11/32" (8.75mm) with 6-32 UNC threads. The bolt head width appears to be a #6 (1/4" or 6.35mm) and the bolt head height appears to be about 5/32" (4mm). The internal threads of the bolt head appear to be 8-32 UNC. Can anyone confirm these specs? Really need one of the Swiftech guys to chime in here. Can I source this in Australia or am I SOL? :D

UPDATE 2:

Well, Steve from Swiftech technical support got in touch with me very promptly and arranged to have completely revised mounting hardware and backplate sent to me under RMA. Very impressive. Can't fault Swiftech's customer service. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive, so all good.

Post subject: Re: Apogee XL2 nut head sheared off - HELP! [SOLVED]
 Post Posted: February 17th, 2017, 10:35 pm 

Had the same issue, please let me know, what the new bracket looks like? I have to RMA these as well.

Post subject: Re: Apogee XL2 nut head sheared off - HELP! [SOLVED]
 Post Posted: March 1st, 2017, 7:09 pm 

The same thing also happened to me. The head of the screw sheared clean off during install, and now I'm left with a defunct pc till I can find a replacement. My old coolers bracket was made of plastic and broke on removal, is there anyway swiftech could send me new mounting screws & backplate? The screw is currently stuck in the backplate and there isn't any way to remove it.

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Technical support