Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Technical support

Post subject: H240 x2 destroyed my system
 Post Posted: December 27th, 2016, 7:43 am 

First a short history about my experience with a swiftech product ( h240 x2).

Bought on amazon.de.

The 1st that came was already wet and sticky still with its plastic wrapping wrapped around it - which immediately got returned to amazon - and they immediately sent a replacement.

The 2nd to arrive seemed fine - was not wet or sticky - this i immediately put in my machine - worked for not even 1 month before it started leaking ( noticed water at bottom of my case after opening to investigate a gurgling sound) . Upon inspection it seemed to be leaking around the resevoir - the resevoir level confirmed alot of water loss - i was lucky nothing in my pc was broken. Sent it back for a 2nd time to amazon - they shipped a 3rd replacement.

The 3rd arrived - along with bridge for my psu so i could run it out of my machine for 24 hours. The 24 hour test passed - no leakages - great i thought.
Not even 2 months later i started experiencing intermittent lags playing World of warcraft legion - after a restart - i couldnt get any of my monitors to work. Pluging 1 into the onboard hdmi got me again into windows.
Upon opening my case - i discovered brutal water damage on my 980 ti's back side - looked like corrosion damage. needless to say i wasnt happy.
The leak seems to be coming this time from the block.

I removed the whole water cooler again - replaced the stock heat sink for my I7 2600K and inserted my old ati 6850 graphics card - everything worked ok for 2 hours - where i suddenly got a nose full electrical burning smoke / smell.

More water had obviously seeped into the pci express slot and the small area near the I/O was burnt black - i beleive that part delivers the power - luckily my corsair rmi 850 psu played like a champ and cut power immediately or i dread to think what could have happened.

No modifications or extensions were done - this was supposed to be a start into water cooling - my play was later with my next graphics card purchage to get a block for said graphics card and another radiator and extend the loop. Unfortunately this has put me off watercooling for life.

SO this 3rd swiftech h240 x2 has killed my 980 ti , an old ati 6850 and an MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) mainboard - assuming the processor - I7 2600K and the 16GB Ripjaws DDR3 still work - cannot test them as i cannot buy sandy bridge mainboards new anywhere.

Currently awaiting a response from support to see if they will cover damages.

Amazon is giving me a full refund on the cooler.

Post subject: Re: H240 x2 destroyed my system
 Post Posted: January 5th, 2017, 12:10 am 

I am done with Swiftech

leaked on two of my GTX 1080's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwnSJ-FxiTw

Post subject: Re: H240 x2 destroyed my system
 Post Posted: January 17th, 2017, 2:20 pm 

thejudge wrote:
First a short history about my experience with a swiftech product ( h240 x2).

Bought on amazon.de.

The 1st that came was already wet and sticky still with its plastic wrapping wrapped around it - which immediately got returned to amazon - and they immediately sent a replacement.

The 2nd to arrive seemed fine - was not wet or sticky - this i immediately put in my machine - worked for not even 1 month before it started leaking ( noticed water at bottom of my case after opening to investigate a gurgling sound) . Upon inspection it seemed to be leaking around the resevoir - the resevoir level confirmed alot of water loss - i was lucky nothing in my pc was broken. Sent it back for a 2nd time to amazon - they shipped a 3rd replacement.

The 3rd arrived - along with bridge for my psu so i could run it out of my machine for 24 hours. The 24 hour test passed - no leakages - great i thought.
Not even 2 months later i started experiencing intermittent lags playing World of warcraft legion - after a restart - i couldnt get any of my monitors to work. Pluging 1 into the onboard hdmi got me again into windows.
Upon opening my case - i discovered brutal water damage on my 980 ti's back side - looked like corrosion damage. needless to say i wasnt happy.
The leak seems to be coming this time from the block.

I removed the whole water cooler again - replaced the stock heat sink for my I7 2600K and inserted my old ati 6850 graphics card - everything worked ok for 2 hours - where i suddenly got a nose full electrical burning smoke / smell.

More water had obviously seeped into the pci express slot and the small area near the I/O was burnt black - i beleive that part delivers the power - luckily my corsair rmi 850 psu played like a champ and cut power immediately or i dread to think what could have happened.

No modifications or extensions were done - this was supposed to be a start into water cooling - my play was later with my next graphics card purchage to get a block for said graphics card and another radiator and extend the loop. Unfortunately this has put me off watercooling for life.

SO this 3rd swiftech h240 x2 has killed my 980 ti , an old ati 6850 and an MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) mainboard - assuming the processor - I7 2600K and the 16GB Ripjaws DDR3 still work - cannot test them as i cannot buy sandy bridge mainboards new anywhere.

Currently awaiting a response from support to see if they will cover damages.

Amazon is giving me a full refund on the cooler.

private message me for class action - thanks.

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Technical support