Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Technical support

Post subject: Cleaning Apogee XT
 Post Posted: January 9th, 2012, 4:44 am 

Hi guys,

i happened to open up my block and didnt quite like what i saw...could you please advice me on the best way to clean my block?

here is a pic for reference...is this really bad?.... sorry for the poor lighting

Intel i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz | Asus Rampage II Extreme | Antec Kuhler 620 Cooler Push/Pull with Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm Fans | OCZ Platinum 6GB 1600Mhz @ 7-7-7-24 | IC Diamond 7 | XFX 850W XXX Black Edition PSU | EVGA GTX 570 SC SLI @ 850/1700 | GSkill Phoenix Sata II 60GB SSD Boot Drive | WD Velociraptor 160GB Sata II Gaming Drive | Seagate 500GB Sata II Storage | Samsung DVD Burner | Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Blue LED Fans |

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Apogee XT
 Post Posted: January 9th, 2012, 9:42 am 

A soft toothbrush and some clear water should do the trick. You can add some pinesol and use the toothbrush then make sure you use clear water to rinse it off.

Regards,
Stephen

Post Posted: January 9th, 2012, 11:45 am 

thanks for the reply...

i have read even something like lime juice does the trick fine...and then rinse it with water...will that be ok? also should i be worrying about corrosion judging from the pic ?

Intel i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz | Asus Rampage II Extreme | Antec Kuhler 620 Cooler Push/Pull with Cooler Master Excalibur 120mm Fans | OCZ Platinum 6GB 1600Mhz @ 7-7-7-24 | IC Diamond 7 | XFX 850W XXX Black Edition PSU | EVGA GTX 570 SC SLI @ 850/1700 | GSkill Phoenix Sata II 60GB SSD Boot Drive | WD Velociraptor 160GB Sata II Gaming Drive | Seagate 500GB Sata II Storage | Samsung DVD Burner | Cooler Master HAF X | Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Blue LED Fans |

Post Posted: January 9th, 2012, 2:56 pm 

No worries there, give it a nice cleaning and then make sure you use an anti-corrosion based additive (Hydrx or similar) for best protection.

Regards,
Stephen

Post Posted: January 9th, 2012, 8:12 pm 

Thanks a lot stephen :)

Post Posted: January 10th, 2012, 9:42 am 

You're welcome!

Stephen

Post Posted: January 15th, 2012, 12:12 pm 

Hi Stephen,

So I finally have designed my loop and wanted your opinion on it.
I’ll be cooling my LGA1366 with SLI setup in my HAF X case.

I had a few question in my mind so here goes:
1. I know the fan orientation is not Swiftech recommended but will the push/pull with mismatched fans cost me some performance here?
2. Since my SLI cards spacing is just 1.6" I decided to with your recommendation of using 3/8 tubing with plastic T's. Can I use two different fittings/tubing as inlet/outlet on the 120m Rad to my GPUs? Will there be any pressure clogging the 120m rad or something?
3. I read the pressure in a loop is equal to the smallest tubing size in the loop but in this case since the RES is "in the way" technically I can get 1/2" tubing pressure up till my CPU, cant I?

I know I can use your bridge but it was proving considerably more expensive since I don’t live in the US and the online store I am going to purchase my parts don’t have them in stock.

Here is a diagram i made of the loop :

Appreciate your input bro.

Cheers

Post Posted: January 16th, 2012, 11:56 am 

1. I've never tried this particular configuration but IMO it shouldn't cause any problem.
2. no problem mixing different tubing/fittings
3. the pressure in a loop is not constant. the highest point is right at the outlet of the pump and the lowest point is right before the pump. the pressure gradually decreases as you're going through each component. Each component applies a restriction (what we call pressure drop). The smaller the tubing the higher the pressure drops. smaller tubing in a parallel sub loop just like you have in between the T and the MCW82 is not causing as much pressure drop as the flow is divided (smaller) - and pressure drop is function of flow rate, the higher the flow the higher the pressure drop.

anyhow the way you set it up looks just fine, no problem there!

regards,
Stephen

Board index » User’s Questions & Discussions » Technical support