Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Swiftech Communications » Technical Bulletins

Post subject: MC21 Mosfet heatsink not sticking
 Post Posted: June 17th, 2007, 8:53 pm 

We are having an issue with the new tape that has proven so effective with the MC14 memory heatsinks. There isn't enough surface area to provide sufficient adherence with this tape when the MC21 is used on the small mosfets of the 8800 series graphics cards.

We are working on a solution wich will most likely involve replacing the current tape.

In the meantime, we suggest an easy solution that has proven to provide a reliable bond:

Put a drop of crazy glue onto a piece of paper; use an unfolded paper clip and dip its tip into the drop of glue, then use the tip to smear some glue on each of the three mosfets, and press the MC21 squarely onto the mosfets for a few seconds.

We do apologize for this extra step in mounting process.

****************UPDATE 7-17-07******************

After multiple tests in our lab, it has been determined that problems encountered in the field with adhesion of the MC21 heatsinks are caused by unsufficient/inadequate cleaning. We have also updated our installation guides accordingly.

The following procedure is now recommended for proper installation of these heatsinks:

Surface Cleaning

Substrate surfaces should be clean and dry prior to the thermal pad application to ensure best thermal performance and adhesion.

Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) applied with a lint-free wipe or swab should be adequate for removing surface contamination such as dust or fingerprints. Do not use “denatured alcohol” or glass cleaners, which often contain oily components. Allow the surface to dry for several minutes before applying the thermal pad.

More aggressive solvents (such as acetone, methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) or toluene) are required to remove heavier contamination from previous thermal grease but should be followed by a final isopropanol wipe as described above.

Last edited by gabe on July 17th, 2007, 3:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: June 22nd, 2007, 1:38 am 

In this matter, this is also worth reading :)
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showpos ... ostcount=2
/Thomas

Post subject: Re: MC21 Mosfet heatsink not sticking - ****UPDATED****
 Post Posted: July 17th, 2007, 3:27 pm 

gabe wrote:
We are having an issue with the new tape that has proven so effective with the MC14 memory heatsinks. There isn't enough surface area to provide sufficient adherence with this tape when the MC21 is used on the small mosfets of the 8800 series graphics cards.

We are working on a solution wich will most likely involve replacing the current tape.

In the meantime, we suggest an easy solution that has proven to provide a reliable bond:

Put a drop of crazy glue onto a piece of paper; use an unfolded paper clip and dip its tip into the drop of glue, then use the tip to smear some glue on each of the three mosfets, and press the MC21 squarely onto the mosfets for a few seconds.

We do apologize for this extra step in mounting process.

****************UPDATE 7-17-07******************

After multiple tests in our lab, it has been determined that problems encountered in the field with adhesion of the MC21 heatsinks are caused by unsufficient/inadequate cleaning.

Our installation guides are being updated, and the following procedure is now recommended for proper installation of these heatsinks:

Surface Cleaning

Substrate surfaces should be clean and dry prior to the thermal pad application to ensure best thermal performance and adhesion.

Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) applied with a lint-free wipe or swab should be adequate for removing surface contamination such as dust or fingerprints. Do not use “denatured alcohol” or glass cleaners, which often contain oily components. Allow the surface to dry for several minutes before applying the heatsink.

More aggressive solvents (such as acetone, methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) or toluene) are required to remove heavier contamination from previous thermal grease but should be followed by a final isopropanol wipe as described above.

Post subject: MC14 application
 Post Posted: August 8th, 2007, 3:39 pm 

I just installed a new watercooling setup, including CPU & GPU blocks, using a Swiftech MCW60 with MC14 blocks for the GPU.

The tape used to mount the MC14 blocks was totally ineffective and I spent more time mounting the MC14 blocks on my 8800GTS than installing the whole system. I ended up having to use superglue, not really the correct way to do something as simple as the tape. I did clean with isoprophyl 99% and the memory was clean and dry.

It would have been a lot more cost effective (cost + time) to just install a new full coverage GPU waterblock.

Not a good job Swiftech!!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: October 24th, 2007, 9:51 am 

Hi, yeah thay are totally not up to the job, I also resorted to superglue as mine kept falling off...
ChrisC

Post subject:
 Post Posted: December 2nd, 2007, 10:58 am 

I just attempted installing these and am having the same issue. I cleaned it as recommended by Swiftech and as soon the card heated up slightly 2 of the 4 fell off. I would rather not resort to supergluing them on. I know ArcticSilver has some thermal adhesive... would that essentially be the same as using superglue? Does anyone know where I can buy replacement tape? Acutally... Why doesn't swiftech just send us some out?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: December 3rd, 2007, 3:11 am 

Anyone try the Artic Silver Thermal Adhesive/AS5 blend instead of super-glue??

I did a 40% Adhesive/ 60% AS5 and it holds my GPU ram sinks on VERY well. However, the diluted mixture allows for removal with a little wiggling, so it's not permanent.

eVGA (Physx) 280 GTX @ 769/1538/2400
Patriot Extreme 3x 2GB (6GB total) DDR3 @1780;
Ultra X-3 1000w PSU;
Thermaltake Armor Case;
Win 7 Ultimate 64/ WinXP Pro SP2 dual boot

Crystalfontz controled water cooling:
CPU: Apogee XT XTREME v2
GPU: XSPC GTX580 Full Cover
PPU: XSPC GTX280 Full Cover
MOB: EK Full Cover
2x MCR320 Swiftech Rads
2x Swiftech 655b pump